o n e : l a t e n i g h t v i s i t o r s

ONE: l a t e n i g h t v i s i t o r s

"In the end I'm not your first choice,

You say you want someone just like me,

So then why am I your plan,

Why am I your plan, why am I your plan b?" I sang along to Marianas Trench in my off key voice as I danced awkwardly around my room.

Before you start judging me though, this is not that Taylor Swift music video where I sing my heart out into my hairbrush. I see how it might look that way, but really I keep my blinds closed and the people who live next to me are a nice elderly couple. Not a teenage boy who secretly plans to sweep me off of my feet.

It had to be about 1:00am on a Sunday night, and what was I doing? Straightening out my room. My Mom said if I didn't clean it she would ground me, because yes I am 17 and I still get grounded.

Knock knock, was heard on my bedroom door and I froze. I mentally pleaded it wasn't my mom, she had checked on me an hour ago and I hadn't made much progress since then.

I rushed to try and make it look like I had made some form of significant progress.

"Come in," I said dismissively. Trying to make it sound as if I wasn't running around my room cleaning as fast as I physically could. I hoped it wasn't my mom, but who else would come to my room at 1:00am?

"Hey Kristy," said my best friend Finn as he walked over and sat down next to me, now a part of me wished I had been more productive, but this was Finn so it didn't really matter. I quickly glanced from the hairbrush in my hand to my blasting music. I threw my hair brush on my bed, because right now my hair was in a messy bun so I couldn't pretend like I had actually been brushing it.

He chuckled as he glanced around my messy room. I shoved him playfully which just made us both laugh. I picked up the remote for my speaker and turned it down.

"It's a wonder you're not deaf," Finn said stealing the remote from me and turning the music down more.

"Control freak," I muttered and I tried to snatch the remote back but he set it down on the other side of himself out of my reach.

"You know if you really wanted to you could just go and fix the volume on the actual machine," he said looking at it out of the corner of his eye.

I looked across the room slowly at the top of my shelf and then back to Finn to see if he was joking. "You know what? Volumes fine," I said crossing my arms.

"Lazy much?" He teased. I brushed it off.

"What's up?" I asked. Finn may very well be my best friend but he wasn't exactly very open or expressive nor did I expect him to be. But I figured since it's 1:00 in the morning he probably wasn't just dropping by to pick on me and play with my music.

"We need to talk," he said as he sat my hands in his lap. Had he found out?I have had a crush on my best friend Finn since we first become friends when we were 4.

"About what?" I asked.

"Look Kristy I really like you I have for a long time," he said looking at me. Did he mean that like a friend, or how I wanted him to mean it? It had to be a friend, I mean he had been completely in love with the girl he had been dating, Celia. They just broke up last week.

"I know that's why we're friends," I said as my eyebrows drew together. There was almost a surprised look on his face as if he hadn't expected that to be my reaction.

"Kristy I love you," he said and my eyes grew. This wasn't actually happening. I came to the conclusion that I had to have fell asleep while cleaning my room. I figured that if this was a dream I was planning on embracing it.

He leaned forward and kissed me, I kissed him back immediately, his lips moved slowly against mine. It was everything I had hoped it would be, and it felt so much more real than any of my dreams. He relucatantly pulled away to breathe.

"I love you too Finn," I said. All of a sudden a weird look crossed his glasses clad face.

"Are you okay? I know your brother being here tomorrow has you stressed but everything will be fine," I said trying to reassure him so that he would stop looking at me like that.

I remembered how we had met;

"Mommy I'm going to play on the slide!" I said as I pointed to big blue slide that wrapped it's way into a spiral.

"Alright Kristy have fun," my Mom said as I ran to the playscape as fast as my little three year old legs could carry me. I climbed up the stairs and past the other playing kids on the way to the slide.

A smile found it's way onto my face as I found myself infront of the slide. I sat down but was quickly pushed aside by a little boy who hurried to slide down before me.

A three year old me who felt like fighting for justice grabbed onto his shirt and slid down behind him. So there I was on my belly sliding down the big blue swirly slide when all of a sudden my elbow hurt.

I cried out and the boy quickly looked behind him as we landed at the bottom of the slide tumbling into the dirt. I looked at my elbow and saw blood which made me cry harder and look away.

"What's wrong?" my Mom asked me as I pointed to my elbow.

"Oh no, are you okay?" another woman said running up to my other side. "Austin apologise," she said turning to the boy who had cut in front of me.

"It's not my fault," he said crossing his arms, and yes technically I should have just waited and gone down like a normal person so that I didn't scrape the skin off of my elbow but it's too late now.

"It is too," I said crossing my arms at the sandy blonde haired boy.

"Are you okay?" asked a little boy who ran up to me. I was quite confused he looked just like the other boy but this one wore glasses. I slowly looked between the two of them.

"I'm fine," I said, I liked this boy and I didn't want to sound whiney.

"Austin," the boy said turning to his brother.

"It's not my fault Finn," Austin said. His mom simply shot him a look. "I'm sorry," he said almost sincerely. I nodded.

"Do you want to build a sand castle?" Finn asked me.

"Yes please," I said smiling.

It turns out that Austin's trouble making was not just a phase. He had just finished his time at military school and was coming back for his senior year. It had Finn really stressed out.

I looked into his eyes through the lenses of his glasses, he hadn't noticed that I had zoned out, it looked like he was in a world of his own too.

"I think I am going to go," he said slowly getting up.

"Please don't leave," I said looking at him as he headed to the door. He mumbled something I couldn't hear. Something like 'stupid brother,' and slammed the door on the way out.

It was only after he left and I glanced at my room which looked like it had just witnessed an earthquake that I realized I wasn't dreaming.

I looked at my bedroom door and and noticed I might have just let my only chance with Finn get away.

Okay so rain check on that whole, his isn't some Taylor Swift music video thing... My best friend just told me he loved me, and I've been in love with him forever. So maybe this was a bit more clique than I thought...

Then again if it was why isn't he still here?

AN

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! YAY 2015!!! Okay guys I know it's short but it is an intro so keep that in mind. OMG I'm just so excited for this story. I've had this idea for a while now and I was going to wait till I was done my other story but then I was like to heck with it I love this one too much. The song I used in the beginning was b team by Marianas Trench you should check it out, it's sort of a bit of a theme throughout the story :) ILYSM♡

PS from now on I will be updating Mondays and Fridays