t w e l v e : l i e s f o r l o v e

TWELVE: l i e s f o r l o v e

I couldn't help but glance up every two seconds. Theresa and Ava were in a heated discussion in Ava's booth.

"Calm down, what's got you all nervous anyway?" Austin asked me. I glared at him, he clearly didn't understand the way girls worked.

"What do you think their talking about?" I asked hoping there was something else, anything else that they could be taking about.

"Kris, we both know their talking about us," he said rolling his eyes as he then turned and handed the customer their drink with a smile. I handed my customer a drink and then turned to take another order. While I prepared that one I turned back to Austin.

"How could you fall asleep?" I whisper yelled.

"It's too late to worry about it now," he waved off.

"I just can't believe that you wou-" I started to rant furiously as I got frustrated with the lid on a to go cup. Suddenly a hand covered mine steadying it and shutting the lid properly. He then spun me around so we were face to face. I should feel too close for comfort, and yet a little voice in the back of my head was encouraging me to get closer.

"Can you just say thank you?" He asked.

I don't know what overcame me when the next second I pushed up to my toes and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you," I said walking off to hand the customer their to go cup. I felt an odd sense of pride when I saw the stunned look on Austin's face.

"We have to get going," Ava said walking up to the counter.

^^^

On the bus Austin went to stand next to us. Ava stopped him. "I'm sorry, you need to stand elsewhere," she said. I looked at her unsure as to what she meant. "Girl talk," she said he nodded and then walked off without saying anything.

"What was that?" I asked pointing to Austin who now stood at the very front of the bus next to the driver.

"What was that? What were you doing hooking up with him last night?" She accused.

"Are you serious? Do you really think I would do that?" I asked her making sure she could tell I was disappointed.

"Don't make it sound like I'm the idiot right now!" She said then noticing she was getting loud, she lowered her voice again. "You two are like the definition of sexual tension right now," she said. No we weren't, I wanted to tell her, but a very small part of me prevented me from saying so.

"Well we didn't..." I didn't feel the need to finish that sentence.

"I figured that out, so why did you two show up late together then?" She asked me.

"Finn called," I admitted. A large part of me wished that had been a dream.

"I don't see the connection," she was obviously puzzled, honestly I was too. Why would Austin come over and throw me a pity party? I just didn't understand.

"I'm getting there. Finn told me he was in love with Celia, and I told him he should tell her. Ava I hate to admit it but I like Celia, and I want her to be our friend and I want her to be happy. I want Finn to be happy too," I said. I don't know why I was saying all of this, maybe it's because I got so little sleep last night.

"Are you saying what I think you're saying?" She asked, and I could already see scheming in her mischievous eyes.

"I want to move on," I said sadly to myself. Ava broke into an odd dance victory dance. Then when she realized she had captured the attention of the whole bus she quickly sat down and the righted herself.