Chapter 97

September 2009

"How'd you get rid of Walburga's portrait?" Fred questions as he enters the room, collapsing on the bed and lying his head in my lap. I smile, putting the ever-growing photo album down after hours of reminiscing on old memories, both high school ones and ones with our kids as we grew up. It just kept growing the more we added, never running out. My fingers rake through his hair. "Someone used the charm on the outside of our shop and we don't know how to get the stupid poster off."

I smirk evilly. "Oh, I just removed a chunk of the wall before exploding that chunk, then remade the wall with magic. It wouldn't come off no matter how much I pulled, but trust me, the house is a lot better off without it."

"And I thought I was related to some pretty horrible people," he grins, and we both know he's talking about Muriel. I'm still not over the omelette thing. "But I think your grandmother trumps them all."

I shudder. "Glad I didn't meet some members of my family. Mia's sleeping. What did you end up doing with Marlie?

"She's in bed," he tells me. "I told Georgina and Regulus to leave her alone so they don't catch her cold and she gets better quicker. They have their presentation next week, remember? Wouldn't do to have them sick after all the effort in their work."

"You mean all the effort you put into their work," I chuckle.

"Hey, do you know how long it took to find muggle photos of Dad? It's not easy!" He falls silent when we hear hushed voices through the wall, and immediately we know what that means, rolling our eyes.

After making sure Amelia's properly asleep in her cot, her hair its normal light brown now (like mine), we slowly creep into the twins' shared bedroom (they wouldn't allow themselves to be separated, and they've definitely taken after Fred and George in terms of pranks) to see Regulus laughing about something as he leans against her bed.

"Regulus Sirius Black."

He shrieks at the sudden voice, whirling around to face us, then gives a sheepish grin at being caught. "What did I tell you about staying away from Marlene?" Fred scolds lightly.

"But... I don't get sick!" he announces proudly.

"Oh?" I crouch down beside him, raising an eyebrow as Marlene grins. "And who said that?"

"Georgie!"

We turn around to see Georgina standing in the doorway, an open book in her hands and a solemn voice escaping her lips despite seeming fit to burst in laughter. "Right here. It says idiots don't get sick."

"See??"

I press my lips together, managing to stop myself chuckling. "Georgie!" Fred shakes his head, leading our eldest out of the room, and I turn to Regulus. "Reggie, you have to leave your sister alone."

"I don't want him to go!" Marlene cries, lip quivering, although she doesn't hesitate in slapping Regulus's thumb away from his mouth. "Can't he stay here, with me?"

I sit on the ground, pulling Regulus onto my lap. "Listen to me," I say gently. "Sometimes, you're going to have to be separate. You can't stay together all the time, and I know you want to, but sometimes it's better. If you stay separate for just a little bit now, then maybe Marlene will be better by dinnertime and we can watch a movie. But if you stay with her then you're going to get sick, and I'll have to keep you away from each other for longer. Trust me, okay?"

Both their faces drop, but Regulus pauses for a moment before wrapping his arms tightly around my neck. "Okay, Mama," he murmurs sadly, but knowing what I'm saying is right.