Chapter 27

"So all in all, not one of Ron's better birthdays?" Fred jokes.

It's evening now, the hospital wing quiet, windows curtained, lamps lit. We were only allowed inside from eight o'clock, and Fred and George arrived just ten minutes after. Mrs and Mr Weasley came a while ago, but they're speaking to Dumbledore. When I thought about how I wanted to see Fred again, this isn't what I had in mind.

"This isn't how we imagined handing over our present," George says grimly, putting down a large wrapped gift on Ron's bedside cabinet and going to sit beside Ginny.

"Yeah," Fred continues, trying to lighten the mood a little. "When we pictured the scene, he was conscious."

"There we were in Hogsmeade, waiting to surprise him–"

"You were in Hogsmeade?" Ginny asks in surprise, looking up.

Fred's voice is gloomy as he sits beside me. "We were thinking of buying Zonko's. A Hogsmeade branch, you know, but a fat lot of good it'll do us if you lot aren't allowed out at weekends to buy our stuff anymore... but never mind that now." Instead he turns to look at Ron's pale face, asking the question that's on my mind, too. "How exactly did it happen, Harry?"

Then he tells us about Romilda Vane's love potion in the Cauldron Cakes meant for Harry, left half-under his bed and growing stronger since Christmas. He says how he took Ronald to Slughorn for an antidote and they celebrated by opening a bottle of mead, and suddenly Ron started foaming at the mouth.

I need to have a serious talk with Draco.

Hermione's been quiet all day, anxious about Ron's health. I don't blame her – if it was Fred then I'd be the same. The conversation flies by, wondering if Slughorn's a Death Eater trying to kill Ron and get to Harry, if he was meant to be on the receiving end of the poison, if it was supposed to be given to Dumbledore like Slughorn's original plan, too many theories.

But I'm silent, and George and Fred send me a look, knowing things the others don't. After all, I've told them that I'm a Death Eater, and if Voldemort really had any input in this (what would he want to do to a school kid anyway?) then I must know something. But I haven't told them about my mission. I haven't said that Draco and I are trying to kill Dumbledore – the Order's not supposed to know. I don't look back at them, willing my hands not to shake.

Hagrid comes to visit, and eventually Mr and Mrs Weasley come back, too, hugging Harry tightly and exclaiming how he seems to have saved half their family! First Ginny in our second year, then Mr Weasley last year, now Ron. But then Madam Pomfrey ends up coming out and reminding us that Ronald can only have six visitors at a time so Harry, Hermione, Hagrid and I start heading back to bed.

We go to visit him again tomorrow, making sure he's alright. The twins went back home with their parents when they were certain Ron would be in safe hands, but I'll be able to update them on his condition in a few days anyway, there being another Order meeting next week.

Hermione and Ginny are sitting by his bedside, Harry standing, and I go to sit on one of the other beds, feet dangling and swinging around. He looks a lot less pale now, but he's still sleeping. Or maybe he's pretending. Who knows?

The door opens and a few of the Professors come in, surprising us. I catch sight of a bottle in Slughorn's hands, probably containing the poisoned mead, and I realise maybe they want to talk about it with us and update us on our friend. After all, we're a bit more mature than other students, or at least it may appear that way. I'm still questioning that about myself.

"Quick thinking on your part, Harry, using a bezoar. You should be very proud of your student, Horace," Dumbledore nods slightly, Slughorn seeming a bit disturbed before snapping back to the present and agreeing. I think he's a bit more focused on the fact he almost killed someone, even if it's accidental.