Chapter 6

"THEY'RE HERE!" Our attention turns from the conversation between Fleur and Harry to the shrieking and panicking Hermione pointing through the kitchen window. Three black specks are clearly visible in the sky, growing larger all the time. The boys are quick to observe that there are four owls, and Hermione starts to flap her hands around in panic.

"There's no use worrying about it," I tell her calmly, sipping from my tea. "Whatever you got is whatever you got. You can't change it, and it's not going to magic away no matter how much you hate the result."

I've given up caring about my exams. It's strange because I'm always studying, keeping ahead of everyone else, but I know I have a lot more to worry about at the moment. Of course I'm still working hard to get the best results, but... I'm just hoping that all my work ends up amounting to something eventually.

When the owls touch down on the kitchen table, nearly crashing into my drink (yes, I've already been told by Ron that I'm strange for having tea, but I need something to keep me going after my most recent nightmares keeping me up), and I untie the envelope from the owl's leg before stroking him.

"Thank you," I smile, and he coos at me before flying back out of the window. Silence falls in the kitchen as the others look at their letters, and I slit my envelope open before unfolding the parchment inside.

 Silence falls in the kitchen as the others look at their letters, and I slit my envelope open before unfolding the parchment inside

I read through it quite a few times, but it's so difficult to keep the smile from my face. I don't want the boys feeling bad about their own results, but when Ron throws his letter up and announces happily that he only failed Divination and History of Magic, I know that it's good for the most part.

The boys end up swapping, everyone celebrating Ron and Harry's O.W.L. results (Harry doesn't look happy, but I make a mental note to ask him later). However, I notice something. "Hermione?" I ask tentatively, seeing how she hasn't said a word yet. "How'd you do?"

"I– Not bad," she says in a small voice. Ron ends up going over and whipping the paper right out of her hands, announcing the nine Outstandings and one Exceeds Expectations (that was for DADA), although she still seems a little disappointed. "What about you, Cassia?"

I hand the paper over to her, but say anyway, "Outstandings in everything except Herbology, but I'll take that any day." It's thanks to Neville that I even got an Exceeds Expectations to begin with! I make a mental note to send him a thank-you owl later.

"Did someone say the O.W.L.s arrived?"

We all whirl around to see very familiar faces at the door, and that's when I grin. We all jump to our feet, going over to hug the twins tightly, but when Fred comes over to me he practically lifts me off the ground, making me laugh. "I saw you two days ago!" I remind him before pressing a kiss to his cheek.

He sets me down but doesn't let go of me just yet. "It was a long two days," he retorts, then pretends to pout, pointing at his lips. "You missed."