Chapter 66

"Expecto Patronum!" The words softly escape Dad's lips as he waves his wand, then a soft blue glow appears from the tip just before the dog does, the latter rushing around the room and letting out a joyful bark, seeming to chase something no one else can see.

The toddler sitting on his bed laughs loudly, clapping her hands together as she watches the magical creature circle her so quickly she's struggling to keep up. "Pafoo!" she calls, reaching over to touch it when it comes to a stop beside her, her chubby little fingers twirling around in his fur. It's another moment before it disappears, making her jump, but then she bursts out laughing. "Dadda! Again!"

He doesn't even get the chance to redo the spell before she's reached out for his wand, snatching it in her strong grip, waving it around excitedly before her gaze slowly turns to it. Her eyes go wide as she stares at the wood, how old and intricately designed it is. "Woo..."

"Do you like it?" Mum laughs as she walks into the room, lying down on her stomach in front of her year-old daughter. "Your dad's very proud of that wand. Helped him through a lot of tough times."

The baby grins before dropping the wand, reaching out and resting her hands on Marlene's cheeks. "Mama!"

Both her parents laugh, Sirius gently tucking some of the girl's straight brown hair behind her ear. "One day, Cass Bear," he starts softly, "you'll have your own wand. And I can't wait to see the amazing things you'll do with it." The little girl giggles excitedly, slowly pulling herself to her feet, wobbly on the soft surface. Then she picks up the wand again, spinning around with it in hand before she falls back onto her bottom on the covers, cheeks flushed. Her happiness never fades, giggles never subsiding.

"She's a Gryffindor," Marlene nods determinedly as Sirius lies down beside her. "Definitely. No doubt about it."

"Lio! Rawr!" The baby roars, waving her hands and showing off her few teeth, then chuckles to herself. Marlene slowly turns to Sirius, eyeing him carefully, and he just gives a sheepish smile. He couldn't help but teach his daughter all about Gryffindors, not when Gryffindor is exactly where he found the love of his life, his best friends, his real home.

I finally pull my face out of the pensieve, and the light of our old home seems to slowly morph back into the Headmaster's office. Severus glances up at me when he realises I'm back, raising an eyebrow. "Well?"

"Thank you," I whisper, wiping at my watering eyes, then gritting my teeth. They didn't die for nothing. I'll make sure of it.

But then something occurs to me.

"That means the last one is her death," I mumble, gripping the vial tightly between my fingers. "Dad put Mum's death in there, but I didn't know which one it was. But if I've seen all but one of them then that means the last is her death."

"I'm afraid that would make logical sense," Severus nods, pressing his fingers together. I swear something washes over his features, but the moment I think so he seems to turn back to normal. "But that is a memory for another time. I have work to be doing and you have curfew very soon. I am surprised you have even found time to come up to my office."

I've been here for the last few hours, chatting to Sev before remembering the memory I brought with me, having finally found a day where I don't have too much homework or a DA meeting. Not that the DA really organises meetings anymore – they just stop by the Room and there's bound to be others there, for them just to chat or to practice spells, although I usually help with the latter. It's almost calming, sharing my knowledge, and it feels good when they finally get the spell right. The joy on their faces are everything.