Driven Together - Chapter 4 (End)

Start from the beginning

"That was different," Palette protested, "that guy was being rude and you almost passed out from the pain. Mona even said you would've had to go to the burn ward if I hadn't healed you."

Goth just barely caught Geno and Raven narrowing their sockets in response, belatedly reminding him he had left those little tidbits out of the story when he explained how he and Palette ended up together last year; he guessed their silence meant that questions would come later.

The smaller skeleton ignored the looks, hoping they might forget as he pressed on, "What about when I opened up about my past? Or when I got sick last year? When I nicked my finger chopping vegetables? Oh, you told off Zeke and everyone else for being pushy during a drinking contest as well... actually, you might not remember that one since you were drunk off your coccyx. And-"

"Okay, you can stop," The taller finally conceded, glancing away and mumbling, "... am I really that bad?"

"When did I say it was bad?" Goth replied, pecking a kiss on the artist's cheek; their eye lights shot back to him as he said, "If anything, it's one of the things I love about you."

"That's-," The artist sputtered, his cheeks puffing up in a pout moments later, "That's not fair; you were the one who missed this time and I can't do the thing like this."

Goth laughed, intending remedy the 'mistake' if not for his younger sibling, "I guess you really are fine if you're both able to flirt so shamelessly."

Palette and Goth flushed at the reminder that they weren't alone; the smaller skeleton turned to glower at his brother as laughter rang through the room. A knock on the door to cut through the noise and everyone's attention became focused on the entryway. Having expected the doctor, everyone was surprised when an old grayish-blonde woman in spectacles appeared on the other side, "Seems there is quite the commotion in here; mind if two more join?"

"Mona!" Dream gasped, rising from his seat to greet the elder woman.

"Dream! My word, it feels like it's been a dog's age since we last had the chance to meet," Mona grasped the skeleton's hand in cheer as her grandson Zeke entered the room with a gift basket in tow, "How have you been faring at your practice?"

"Nothing much to speak of; mostly car, work, or DIY accidents as usual," the monster shrugged, "We got a few new interns recently that are showing promise, though."

"Looks like you took quite the hit," Zeke approached the bed, grimacing at the brace around Palette's neck as he set a get-well basket full of various fruits down on the bedside table, "Gran said the doctors estimated a week for full recovery; is that gonna be enough time?"

"Yeah, it looks worse than it is," Palette assured his coworker, "The doctor already said everything looked good a couple hours ago and once she gives me one more checkup, she said I can get the ball rolling to be discharged. After that, I'll be given painkillers to take as needed while I recover at home."

Goth looked down at the brace on his hand and added, "I should be able to come in on Monday-"

"You may not," Mona interrupted tersely, legs akimbo with her arms crossed in a way Goth was quite familiar with, "I gave you both time off and I expect you both to rest properly. And in case you get any wild ideas, everyone has already been notified that you are only allowed into the shop as customers until I consider you recovered."

Goth clamped his mouth shut as Palette snickered, "I guess we can't argue with that." The smaller merely hummed in confirmation, knowing it was impossible to argue with Mona when her maternal side kicked in.

Geno stood, rounding the bed until he was standing in front of the woman, "So you're Mona." It was more of a statement than a question.

"That would be me, yes," the elder woman confirmed, maintaining a pleasant expression, "and who would you be?"

"I'm Goth's mother, Geno," the skeleton stated, then bowed his skull, "I've heard many good things about you and I wanted to show my appreciation in-person; thank you for watching over my son for all these years."

Mona stared at the parent for a moment before bursting out into laughter, startling most of the room's occupants, "Heavens above, I swore I was talking to an older Goth for a moment there; he has always been such a courteous young man, and now I see where he gets it from. Raise your head, dear." Merriment danced in the woman's eyes as Geno complied, "There are no thanks needed when it comes to family, especially when they are willing to put up with a stubborn old biddy like me."

Despite having heard the words from the woman's mouth before, the sentiment still warmed Goth's soul; from the look on his boyfriend's face and the arm that wrapped around his shoulder, the feeling was mutual.

"I like her," Raven broke the silence, nodding his skull in approval from his seat.

Mona chortled, "I am glad to have your approval, young man."

Goth rested his skull on Palette's shoulder as the room became filled with soft chatter as everyone was introduced to each other. He was content on listening to the activity going on around him while occasionally adding to the conversation, all the while silently grateful that no one forced interactions out of him as his boyfriend supplied most of the responses. Taking in each smiling face, he was reminded that even if things got hard or were scary sometimes, everything would be alright in the end as long as he had his family and friends.

***

Word Count: 1,691