Ch. 12 - A Monster From Another World

"It seems someone is a sore loser." Ayu glared at the cult leader.

Lesorugus growled, and his fists were clenched so tight they trembled. "Deep breaths. Deeeep breaths." He inhaled and exhaled as if doing yoga. "I will admit. You three are better than I was expecting. ...But it is frustrating when sacrificial lambs don't know when to quit!" 

"Come on, man. You're one to talk," Kamiro said.

"Disgusting," Lesorugus muttered. "I didn't want to go through the trouble with vermin like you. Disgusting." He looked over at Fleur. "Disgusting! But... haha, now I will have to... Just to get rid of that disgusting, hopeful look in your eyes."

He grabbed the leather-bound book from under his arm and flipped through some pages. He chanted whatever incomprehensible language was inside, and all the cult members grasped their hands together and followed along.

The party stood hurt and exhausted, but they had no choice but to try and survive whatever was to come from the magic circle that began to glow in the middle of the ground.

With a chorus of chants, the dark purple magic circle grew more ferocious. Sparks emitted from it that crackled like firecrackers, and its force disturbed the surrounding air. One by one, cult members collapsed while the circle grew. It wasn't long before the party stared in disbelief at the creature that emerged.

Although all the world's creatures were foreign to Kamiro, even he knew this summoned monster wasn't normal.  "A Demon" was the closest thing his mind could label what stood before them.

Its appearance was somewhat like those depictions of monstrous deities ancient civilizations had back in his world. The creature was black with green piercing eyes, a long pointed tail, and stood three meters tall with a pair of large bat-like wings.

According to Earla, what they faced was an Aberration. That was the name given to these types of creatures in this world; summoned monsters, not from this world, with strange abilities that didn't fit the magic system. Apparently, they hadn't been seen since the Demon Lord had disappeared from the public eye.

Fleur's eyes said what her mouth couldn't. But she remained determined to escape from her restraints.

"Haha, yes. That's it. That's the look you all should be showing!" Lesorugus said.

His book remained opened, and a dark purple aura surrounded it, but the chants seized. Most of the other cult members had collapsed, but a few still stood, with their hands clamped as if in prayer.

Kamiro's hairs stood on edge from the Aberration's piercing shriek. The sound was twisted, made of three tones in one. It froze the party in place, and even the cult leader backed off from the edge above and gulped.

The creature rushed forward with a heavy thrust of its wings, and it showed its intelligence by picking the most vulnerable target at that moment; Kamiro. With a swipe of its claw, it jetted Kamiro's body through the air before the stone wall brought his ragdoll figure to a crushing halt.

The impact completely knocked the wind out of him.

"Kamiro!" Ayu and Earla yelled in unison as they ran to him.

His vision blurred while he saw the girls call out to him. Is this it...? I knew from the start. I don't belong in this world either.

Earla activated her 'Barrier' just as the creature went for another strike. With only a single hit, it was on the verge of collapse.

Ayu... or whoever wanted me here, made a mistake. Ha-ha... Unless they just wanted to see me suffer. Kamiro watched as the two girls struggled to protect him.