Ch. 2 - Welcome to Lucerna Guild Academy!

"Hurry, we're not gonna make it!" Ayu said.

Kamiro ran behind her as they made their way through the wide-open fields of the Lucerna Guild Academy's entrance grounds. He was in awe of the new scenery. A fresh scent filled his nose, while a cool breeze from the surrounding trees and flower beds brushed against his skin. The morning light glistened the meadows while Ayu and Kamiro rushed through a trail leading to the guild academy's main entrance.

"What's so important about this test anyway?" Kamiro said.

"Oh, nothing really... Except for everything! If we don't make it in time, we won't get a chance to get our Adventurer ranking." Ayu glared at him. "This is on you. Your stubborn self just had to run off."

"Well, who'd stay with the person that kidnapped them, without question?" I guess me, apparently.

"Sorry..." she muttered.

  Grumbles of a crowd rang through the air while the two reached their destination, and the sight of an assembly of student Adventurers came into view. Overlooking the crowd were three pedestals with two older men and an older woman standing in front. The three of them appeared to be around their early sixties and stood with authority.

Kamiro and Ayu were nestled in the back, hunched over after their marathon. "...Those three seem important," he said, looking at the three figures addressing the crowd.

Ayu nodded. "They're the headmasters of Lucerna Guild Academy and are in charge of the guild."

She went over each of them. On the left was headmaster Bimwell who had a glorious handlebar mustache that he couldn't seem to resist twirling, and who could blame him? In the center stood headmistress Tulind. She had her brunette hair tied up in a bun, and though she was now older, the beauty that she surely was in her youth still showed. And on the right was headmaster Willmsbee. He was the older, handsome type, with a chiseled jaw and gray hair. And it wouldn't have been surprising if the young ladies in the academy fawned over him.

Headmaster Willmsbee's voice was calming and self-assertive. "We want to thank everyone for their participation in this year's annual Adventurer Ranking Exam. You all performed splendidly, and we have no doubt of what grand Adventurers you will all become."

"No... We were too late," Ayu said.

Kamiro gave a wry smile, trying to deflect her glare.

"How bad does this leave us?"

Ayu sighed. "It's going to make things harder, that's for sure. We'll be considered unranked Adventurers, and it's bad enough that we are still student Adventurers. The only quests we might be able to take will be more like chores than actual quests."

"I-I see..."

"Not only that, but it's going to be tough to find a party for the Party Ranking Exam..."

"Party Ranking Exam?" I can kind of guess what it is, based on the name.

"Oh, right. ...Well, most quests are done in parties, and the quests you can do depends on the ranking of the party. The Party Ranking Exam determines that."

"Got it."

Ayu's expression dropped while she appeared to be thinking out loud. "And my family name is going to make things even more difficult..."

Not too far from where the two stood was a girl with a familiar face.

"Is that Earla?"

Ayu seemed surprised after hearing that name. "That's the girl from the forest, right? Earla... did you happen to get her surname?"