Ch. 5 - The Party Ranking Exam Is Just a Simple Combat Match?

The overwhelming cheers from the crowd were enough to make the whole arena tremble. The fateful day had finally arrived, and the Lucerna Guild Academy's combat arena was packed with spectators.

"WOOO!—"

"Get' em!—"

People had come from all over the kingdom. Apparently, the yearly Party Ranking Exam in Lucerna Guild Academy was a big spectacle.

Wow. The crowd sure is into it...

Kamiro, along with Earla and Ayu, spectated the final match before theirs, and the fluttering of butterflies was growing within Kamiro's stomach.

"That concludes the current match." The instructor overseeing the matches spoke up. She was a tall woman with a powerful physique. "Now, party #13 and party #7, please ready yourselves and make your way to the center of the arena."

"T-That's us..." Earla said while Ayu let out an audible gulp.

Once ready, the three walked into the arena. It was a large open area with climbing stone seating surrounding it. The three headmasters sat front and center, overlooking everything from the highest point of the stands.

Kamiro glanced around the crowd and spotted Di Reids, who gave a thumbs-up upon meeting his gaze. This feels like it's gonna be more of a gladiator fight to the death than just another ranking exam. He couldn't tell if the roaring of the crowd was so powerful that it was making his hands shake or if it was something else, but once he saw who his opponents were, he could no longer blame it on the crowd.

"No way..." Earla said. Her and Ayu's face showed the same surprised expression that Kamiro had.

The dueling parties were chosen at random, but as luck would have it, they had to face one of the most popular Adventurer parties that were quickly making a name for themselves. Though still young, each member was already relatively high ranked, and one of the top-ranking students, Emil Vanstaiff, was its leader.

"Really?" Kamiro looked up as if reprimanding God itself. We're up against Emil and his party, The Golden Sun?... Yeah, we have no chance.

When he first arrived at Lucerna Guild Academy, Kamiro had paid no mind to what a grand accomplishment Emil had done by achieving gold rank as a student, but it didn't take long for him to learn what that meant. Usually, the rankings in the academy comprised the lowest three; Copper, Bronze, and Silver, and most of the corresponding year students were of that rank. Being only a second-year student, Emil achieved a gold rank, which almost no one reached until after graduating, and even then, it wasn't a guarantee.

But we have no choice either. It's time to put our training to the test.

Ayu and Earla appeared to have gotten past their initial bewilderment and also looked focused.

"This match will consist of party vs. party combat with the objective being to defeat the opponent. If the party cannot continue the match, or if an instructor must intervene, the other wins. This arena has been enclosed by a special spell to prevent any critical injuries, but nonetheless, be cognizant of the force being applied and aware that injuries are common."

That's reassuring.

"The Golden Sun, are you ready?"

"Yes, ma'am!"

"And..." The instructor looked over her notes. "The Rank-less Party, are you ready?"

"Y-yes!"

Some mumbles from the crowd could be heard, questioning Kamiro and his party.

"I think we are making a name for ourselves as well," Ayu said with a naïve looking smile.