Ch. 6 - A Day in Lucerna

A few weeks had passed since the end of the Party Ranking Exam. While Kamiro and the party awaited the results, they completed some unranked quests to pass the time, the most exciting of which involved getting rid of pests in the farms right outside the city.

Before long, they had announced that the results would be posted the following day, so instead of going on another useless unranked quest, Ayu and Earla decided to have a girl's day out.

"Well, it's not like I'm jealous or anything..." Kamiro spoke to himself in the dining hall, drawing curious stares from the few students nearby. Earla and Ayu left him alone after eating breakfast.

He fidgeted with his half-eaten meal with a grumpy expression. Di Reids had mentioned he would be busy today too. I need more friends.... Wait, what am I saying? He'd long gotten used to being alone anyway. Kamiro sighed. "Might as well explore the city and get my mind off the results coming tomorrow."

  With the guild academy tucked away at the north-east corner of the city and closed off by a natural barrier of large trees, Kamiro hadn't taken much time to explore the city.

He made his way towards the city center while his senses were filled with various sights and sounds.

I've been here for months now and barely know the city. To be fair, he barely knew the big city back in his world after moving there, and he was there for almost two years. Although, Lucerna was much smaller in comparison...

  The city's stone roads were filled with people from all walks of life during the afternoon rush. Pubs, food stands, inns, and various shops cluttered the sides, along with dark alleys and dead-end streets that'd only lead to trouble.

"The Valley City of Lucerna..."

Kamiro had some knowledge of the city and kingdom from half-listening during lectures in the guild academy, but most of it had been coming from books. During his free time, he often found himself in the grand library the academy had and was learning much more there.

Located in a valley between two mountain ranges, Lucerna was one of the three great cities of the Faro Kingdom, and due to it being between the other two great cities, one north and south, it was buzzing with commerce and trade. But Lucerna was mostly known for its adventurer's guild and their academy.

Well, that's enough exploring for one day. Wonder what Ayu and Earla are doing right now.

The sun was still high in the sky as the afternoon had just begun. Kamiro passed by one of the city's many dark alleys while he headed back to the academy.

"You're kidding, right?" And of course, no one else happens to be around.

  Inside of it, he could make out a young boy surrounded by a group of muggers. The boy glanced at him but Kamiro averted his eyes and continued walking.

Nope, not my problem. There's no way I'm going to endanger myself for someone I don't even know.

After a few minutes, he came to an abrupt stop and sighed. "Fine..." He turned around but took his time going back. "A scream of help would've been nice..." Kamiro spoke with little enthusiasm while he approached the dark alley. "Hey, kid, you still alive in there?"

To his surprise, he found the kid alive and well... All the while, the three muggers laid unconscious and beat up. The kid stood over them and rummaged their bodies.

"Wow. They're completely broke..." The kid muttered.

Well, gotta say, I wasn't expecting this.