Ch. 5 - The Party Ranking Exam Is Just a Simple Combat Match? - Part 2

"I'm assuming all this time you've been standing there quietly was to come up with a plan, right?" Ayu said, glancing back at Kamiro.

The barrier was on the verge of shattering.

"Ah, yeah, something like that..." He crept towards them while they had their backs turned. You can hit me all you want later, Ayu, but I gotta do this.

"If only we had an opening to at least attempt the combination attack we trained on," Earla said.

"Yeah, but—"

"I'm sorry!" Before Ayu could speak, Kamiro wrapped his arms around her and Earla

"Wah! What are you doing, stupid Kamiro!?" Ayu thrashed around while Earla squealed.

Huh, so this is what girls smell like... Sweat and grime. ...Which is what's normal, considering we're in the middle of combat.

"Let go, you idiot, this is not the time for this!" Ayu said while she continued to flail.

Earla froze with a gaping hole on her mouth, unable to utter any words.

"Wait, so you're suggesting there is a time for this?" Kamiro said.

"What!? N-No..."

With the barrier falling apart, the attacks from Emil's party finally seized.

Actually, for once, Ayu is right. This isn't the time to get distracted. "Listen, you two, there's no time to explain now. Just be ready to begin the combo attack we've been practicing,"

"Huh!? What are you—" Ayu's words were cut short.

"Invocabo Liber: Status Up."

"A spell...?" Earla said.

The girls released an unexpected moan while the buffs were being applied.

"W-What was that?" Kamiro's head flushed when he saw Ayu glare at him with watery eyes and an embarrassed look, while Earla hid her face.

"T-This feels..." Earla whimpered.

Kamiro gulped. Calm down heart, I don't know what's happening, but it's probably not what you think. He finally released them from his bear hug, and the girls seemed to notice the spell's effects.

"I-Idiot, you could have said something before..." Ayu's face slowly returned to its natural color.

Huh, Ayu was more reasonable than I'd thought she'd be. "I have no excuse..." Kamiro said with a slight bow.

"Kamiro, Ayu. Get ready." Upon hearing Earla's voice, both of them got serious.

"That took longer than expected, not bad." Lily's voice was feisty, a stark contrast to her innocent appearance.

The last remnants of the barrier had vanished, but just as Lilly and Rickon prepared to attack, Reina interjected. "Wait, you two... Let's fall back." Her tone was calm, and although they both looked to her in surprise, they didn't hesitate to heed her instructions.

They moved back and rejoined Emil and Castin. All five members stood together while Emil looked at Kamiro and his party with a sense of caution in his eyes.

"Perfect, now that they're all together... It's our turn," Kamiro said.

"Invocabo Lux: Blinding Light," Earla chanted while Kamiro and Ayu covered their eyes.

"That's our cue," Ayu said.

Emil and his party looked bewildered while the arena was consumed by an intense light. Everything went quiet; the only sound was the simultaneous gasp from the spectators.