Epilogue

Six months later

Why am I here right now? Niall and our attorney said I didn't have to do this. Jill and Leo asked me though. I have this sense of obligation to them. They protected me more than I ever knew.

Now I need to protect them.

"Please raise your right hand. Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?" The bailiff asks.

I clear my throat, raise my right hand, and then say, "I do."

"You may proceed." The bailiff turns to both attorneys.

The prosecutor attorney that I have been in contact with for the last few months walks up to the stands. He smiles at me and says, "please state your name."

"Veronica Horan," I say proudly.

"Veronica, how long did you work for the defendant?" He asks.

"Almost six years." I keep my eyes away from the defense team.

"Were you ever put into uncomfortable or comprisable situations, because of the defendant?" This attorney asks again.

My nerves rattle me and I hesitate. Can I truly rat out Dave and not have any backlash? My need to protect Jill and Leo are strong, but my need to protect my family is stronger. By not answering this question truthfully I will be protecting Dave.

He doesn't deserve to be protected.

"Veronica, you don't need to be afraid." The prosecutor soothes me. I glance over at the jury and they share looks of pity and sympathy. I'm sure most of them think I slept with Dave. "Let me ask another question. Did Dave ever threaten you?"

"Yes." I wince at how shaky my voice is.

"It has been documented that he threatened you on multiple occasions. The most recent incident was when you were leaving the jail and Dave said that he would be seeing you. Is that correct?" The attorney asks.

My first thought is to look at Jill, because she is the only one who would have told him. She is sitting extremely close to Leo. His arm is around her in a protective manner. She gives me a sympathetic smile. I then look over at Niall who looks like he is going to explode. I never told him about that. Finding out today in court probably isn't ideal.

"Objection! That isn't a threat your honor." The defense attorney says as he shoots up from his seat.

"Overruled. I want to see where Ron is taking this." The judge says.

The judge's brown hair is gelled to the side of his face and it makes his skin look tanner. His blue eyes look at me and then at the attorney who is doing the questioning. I guess his first name is Ron. It's weird how they use first names. Both attorneys are extremely well known and most judges know them.

"Veronica, do you feel inclined to answer a certain way, because you feel like you are in danger?" The prosecuting attorney, Ron, asks.

Distinctively I set my hand on my stomach and rub it. Confidently I answer, "yes." I look over at Niall who nods his head in support. "But I will give you the truth. I promised I would, so I will."

"That's all we are asking of you." This attorney is good. Every single member of the jury is giving me hopeful looks. "Was Dave ever flirtatious?"

Out of the corner of my eye I see Dave lean in and whisper something to his attorney. The attorney nods his head and then stands up.

"Objection." The attorney waves a hand at me. "Flirting isn't against the law."

"Let me reword it then." Ron, the prosecutor, says. "Veronica, did Dave ever harass you?"