Chapter Twelve: Sorority Girl

Hailie sat in the courtyard, reading a book from economics. She had an hour before another lecture. She still hasn't finished her essays, but there was some time to do it. Normally she would work on it till morning but around midnight she started to feel laziness and tiredness, so she went to sleep.

There was no news from Shane, which worried her a little bit. He wrote to her yesterday, but it was a short exchange of messages. He asked how she was and wished her a good day.

"Hailie."

She closed a book and glanced at a blonde girl. She was short but high heels made her look taller. Her dress was really pretty, but not quite in Hailie's style. For her everyday outfit she preferred jeans and t-shirts. It was way more comfortable.

"Um, yes? Do I know you?"

Was she in some classes with her? Hailie didn't bother to remember the faces of other students. She usually hadn't talked with anybody.

"No, sorry, I haven't introduced myself," her voice was warm but Hailie was uncertain about that girl. "I'm Debra Aliso."

"Okay, nice to meet you."

She wondered what that girl might have wanted from her. Some notes? Hailie diligently wrote everything that was said in the lectures.

"I saw your announcement. You're looking for a roommate?"

Hailie was shocked that there was yet another person who would like to live with her in a haunted house.

Maybe that kinds of places attracted people?

"I've already got a roommate, but there's one more room," she said carefully.

"Great!" Debra sat beside her on a bench with brightness in her eyes. "My story is insane! I was in a sorority, but they've kicked me out. Something about being unfriendly and bitchy. I guess I shouldn't steal my sorority sister's boyfriend, but what can I say, he wanted me. We were a better match, even if he already found himself a new girlfriend. Well, I also shouldn't pick up fights with everyone. Whatever. Sometimes they're so stupid." She rolled her eyes as if her life was really tough. "The point is, I don't have a house right now. I would really use a place to live in until I find something different or get along with my slutty sorority sisters."

Hailie blinked a few times. She didn't know what to say and Debra was sitting beside, gazing at her expectantly. Was she waiting for Hailie to admit she was right? Debra's story didn't interest her, she had nothing to do with sororities and she preferred it stayed that way.

On the other side she wanted to be nice. But living with Debra? That girl wasn't a good company. At least not for Hailie.

"Well honestly, I found a roommate."

"But you said you have another room. Please, I desperately need help!"

What she might say to her? Debra didn't have where to live. She couldn't turn her down and leave with nothing.

"Well, I guess you can stay for a while," she said with uncertainty.

Debra squeaked and embraced her with happiness.

"Yey! Thank you, Hailie! We're gonna be friends. You seem a bit withdrawn but we can work on that. I'll show you around. I'm sure you weren't even at any party yet, right?"

"Yeah, but I don't need to," she said slowly.

She had enough parties in her life. Nothing good came out of them.

"Nonsense!" She hugged her once again. "It's gonna be great, I heard your house is haunted. What a blast! We can even try to summon some ghosts!"

"Maybe not?"

Hailie wondered if Pride would show up then.

"Anyway, can I move in next week?"

"Yeah, I guess." Hailie nodded.

"Awesome! My sorority sisters are gonna be so jealous, I'll make sure of that! Anyway, gotta go, see you around!"

She left so fast that Hailie didn't have a chance to say goodbye. It was a bizarre conversation. She just agreed on another roommate. Was it a good idea? Well, she couldn't say no. And she hoped that Debra would find something else real soon. Maybe her sisters will take her back?

"My life is getting more and more weird," she said to herself.

Hailie looked at her phone. She had a new message. Her heart started beating rapidly when she saw it was from Shane.

"So much work... And it's so boring... Wish to go for hot chocolate again."

"That makes both of us."

"Tomorrow then?"

She got excited. Maybe she shouldn't get so involved? They knew each other only for a few weeks, but it was stronger than her. She was just so happy about seeing Shane.

"Definitely!"