Chapter Eight: Your Choice

Hailie looked at Pride's work. She definitely was good at make-up and stylization. She let her know she was aware of it pretty much all the time. Less than two hours which Hailie spent with Pride gave her a nice reminder of how it used to be. At first she was happy, fitting in Jay and Amy's group. All the friends she had. She became popular and it felt amazing. It was only later when the worst things came. But being with Pride, it was different. It was pleasant and her ghostly friend, unlike Amy and her gang, was making Hailie feel better and not ashamed about her body and looks. It was like they could talk on every topic. Hailie still tried to develop her trust for Pride but for now their relations made her feel calmer.

"So, what do you think?" asked Pride, standing behind Hailie. "I know, I know, you're astounded by my abilities."

"It's... I look pretty great." Hailie couldn't take off her eyes from her reflection. She spun around, enjoying the red dress she was wearing. She hasn't worn it since her break-up with Jayson even though she really liked how it emphasized her waistline.

"You didn't even need my help, you were looking great without make-up too, but I've got to say those eye shadows and red lipstick suits you."

"Thank you, Pride."

"No need to thank me, it was a pleasure." She laid on her bed and took off her red high heels. "Try them on," she said and throw them to Hailie.

"Are they real?"

"As real as I am." Pride laughed. "Don't worry they won't disappear or change into a pumpkin."

She wore them. High heels felt strange on her feet. She got used to sneakers.

"I'm getting nervous. I'm happy about going out with Shane, it's just..."

Hailie's mood changed and Pride could feel it. That young girl became sad and worried.

"What is it, Hailie?"

"So much happened. I'll have a male roommate, I'm not even sure if I want that. And I'm going out with a cute policeman I know nothing about. I'm scared. Scared of people, of the world. It would be so much easier to lock myself in this house and never leave it."

Pride came up to Hailie and placed a hand onto her arm.

"Believe me, you wouldn't like to be trapped in here. I'm the only reason I can still stand it. I'm just way too amazing and cool to crack."

She managed to amuse Hailie.

"I went through hell." For Pride it was an interesting choice of words. "All mostly because of the one boy, who shook my world, who destroyed my sense of security and made me feel... Well, the way I feel."

"Oh, honey." Pride turned her to the mirror and embraced. "Never let a man make you feel useless or not good enough. You are perfect the way you are and you don't need to change for anybody. Be confident about yourself and don't let it be taken from you. You deserve the best and if a man simply can't see how amazing you are, he surely must be somehow blind and unworthy. Cause I'll tell you one thing." She touched Hailie's straight hair. "You don't need anybody to tell you anything, you just got to believe in yourself. And you need no man. Tell me who runs the world?"

"Girls," she laughed.

"And more precisely, you do. You run your world and you choose how it is going to be."

"Yeah, I do," she said with a sudden confidence growing inside her.

There was a doorbell. Officer Blackwell already came and Hailie turned to Pride with a huge smile on her face.

"And remember, girl, have some fun tonight! You shall not worry cause I can promise you, no human will hurt you without facing some deadly consequences."

Deadly meant dead and spending their last moments in misery. Hailie knew about it. Once again she thought that being friends with a dangerous ghost was indeed peculiar. It made her feel safe though.

"I think it'll be okay, after all he's a policeman so-"

So he shouldn't do anything bad, Hailie thought but she didn't say it out loud.

Jay's mother was also a police officer, a sheriff even.

She took a last look at the mirror, said goodbye to Pride and calmly left the room. She wanted to run up to the door like she used to do, but it was pretty much impossible in those high heels. Shane was already waiting at the entrance with a bouquet of white lilies. She was glad he didn't bring red roses, because they weren't exactly her favorite flowers. She was always getting them after a fight with Jayson. Lilies were perfect on the other side.

"How elegant!" she exclaimed, taking them from Shane. "I'll put them in the vase and be right back."

"You need some help?"

"No worries, it'll take a minute."

He walked into the house, looking around, while Hailie was gone. He has never been here even though he heard hundreds of stories about this house. There were some strange vibes inside. He wasn't sure if he liked being here or not. He felt like something didn't want him inside, so he was glad when Hailie came back.

Pride was staring at them as they were leaving the house together. She was invisible to their eyes, just like the other ghosts.

"You did great with her," said Lust, who was sitting on the stairs.

He couldn't get what Hailie was seeing in this police guy. He was nothing compared to him.

"Of course I did, although she didn't need that much of my help. Only a little bit of a friendly chat." Pride looked at Lust with disgust. "I'm helping her cause unlike you, I've developed a little bit of emotions throughout the centuries."

He smirked.

"Tell it to all those people you've haunted."

She leaned on the handrail.

"They've deserved it. The arrogant and bad ones, well, there's a special place for their souls in Hell. Don't try to understand me, Lusty. You're too stupid for that."

He appeared behind her with angry sparks in his eyes. She quickly turned to him. If he only pushed her, she would fall down the stairs. But what's the point? She couldn't get hurt or die anyway.

"Watch your tongue, can you?"

"You know, there was a time when I liked and cared about you. We all love evil and destruction, but we used to know when to stop. Sometimes I wonder what happened with you." She sighed. "I'm the oldest one, maybe that's why I'm the wisest too." After those words she just vanished, leaving Lust with his own thoughts.