Chapter Thirty Three: Police Station

Hailie took her brown bag and was about to go out, when Debra came downstairs, looking as much wasted as Hailie was feeling. She thought that delaying this news wasn't a good option. It was better to confront Debra right now and just go through it. Otherwise Hailie would think all day about upcoming conversation.

"Debra!" She took a deep breath and stepped in front of her. She blinked a few times, surprised that Hailie would want to talk with her.

"Please, don't even start, Hailie. I know that I've acted completely stupid. Gosh, I feel like a typical mean girl from all those movies, which are actually my guilty pleasures, but anyway, I was awful to you. I have no idea what has gotten into me. You're my roommate, you've let me stay in your house after being kicked out from the sorority and I've treated you like trash. I shouldn't have, not after..." She looked at her bruise. It was poorly hidden under concealer. "Forgive me, please?"

Her words took Hailie by surprise. The last thing she expected was Debra saying sorry to her. Yesterday she indeed acted horribly, but now she felt really guilty about it. Hailie could read it from her face. She crossed her arms, looking at the floor, then again at Hailie.

"I, uh, yesterday's been quite weird," she said, trying to figure out what to do next.

She couldn't kick Debra out after her apology. It felt wrong to do so. Everybody makes mistakes, right? It seemed like Debra regretted hers.

And the atmosphere at the party, it was odd. No wonder that some people couldn't take it anymore. Besides, Debra was dumped by Lucien. It probably hit her hard.

"Party was my idea and it ended up as a catastrophe. I'm sorry for what happened to you, even though I don't know specifics. And I'm sorry how I treated that policeman, who came with you. That was lame and he's actually cute. Weird of me, I'm never mean to cute guys unless they deserve it."

Both of them chuckled. Debra knew how to loosen up the atmosphere between them.

"Well, if you're sorry, maybe you would like to come with me to the police station and apologize to him yourself? I could use a ride, cause I'm low on petrol."

She was thinking about it for only a few seconds.

"Sure, let me just get my keys and bag."

"I'll wait outside."

Sun was hidden behind dark clouds as if it was going to rain later. Everything seemed to be blurry, because of the roads shrouded in mist. The weather outside was just perfectly fitting Hailie's mood. She covered herself tighter with a long brown coat, letting out breath.

Her again?

Creepy lady from the house across the street was staring again. Hasn't she got anything else to do than stalking others? Hailie would've been bored after only ten minutes of observing, but the lady just couldn't get enough. She was better than a professional monitoring. Living spy, except she didn't try to hide it from anybody.

She was staring also yesterday.

Maybe she saw something?

Hailie was wondering if she should come and knock on her door. Not only to ask some questions, but also to kindly ask the old lady to stop creeping her out. She did the first step, but Debra slammed the front door and left the house.

"Let's go!" she yelled, stopping by her red car. "Are you going?"

"Yeah." Hailie looked again at the old lady's window, but she was gone, and the curtain was closed.

"Alright, police station it is." Debra started the engine. Hailie was never in her car before. It was tidy enough, and actually sweet with scented bag and stickers on the dashboard. "May I ask who did this to you?" She pointed at Hailie's bruise.