Chapter Thirty Six: Runaway

Hailie was walking from one side of the corridor to the other side. Bodyguards watching the security footage must have taken her for some kind of crazy, undecided girl, which she probably was. She was planning to leave, then she was coming back again. It was like an endless conflict of what to do. It seemed like a terrible idea, but it was her only idea. She needed to talk with somebody. She needed to calm down and have a break from the demonic world. Lost on a carousel of overthinking she finally stopped in front of the door.

He might not even be there, she thought, not sure if that was a better option or not. And what if he is there? What will I tell him?

She turned away from the door, but then she changed her mind again.

Okay, just knock, Hailie. Knock, knock.

She raised her hand, looking at the door like it was the most terrifying thing she has ever seen. But it was just a door. And a man being behind them.

"Are you planning to knock or have you changed your mind?"

Her eyes got wider as she slowly looked at the guy standing at the end of the corridor. Shane came closer with a big smile on his face. It was hard not to laugh. Hailie was too sweet.

"I-I, um, yes, but now I don't have to, because you're not inside actually, you're here. With a bag of groceries. You were out and I was here, but it's not like I was waiting, cause you know, I haven't knocked yet. But I planned to knock."

Is it already time to facepalm or should I wait and see what else will come out of my mouth?

"Okay, thanks for the explanation," he said, smirking. "How can I help you?" He took keys from his pocket and opened up the door for her. "Please, come inside."

"Thanks."

Shane's apartment looked too clean, just as if he wasn't spending here a lot of time. It had a spacious, modern kitchen, perfect for someone who likes to cook. The living room was comfortable, painted in basic colors and full of cushions laying on the couch and armchairs. Hailie thought that the apartment looked like it was empty, like Shane barely moved in. Did he spend all his time at the police station?

"Is it too neat?" he asked, just as if he knew what she was thinking about. "I like to keep it tidy. The last thing I want to see when I'm coming late from work is my stuff laying all over the place." He put bags with groceries on the kitchen table. "So, may I know what do I owe the pleasure to see you here? And with," he tilted his head, "new clothes? And is that a toothbrush?"

She looked at her own shopping. She bought everything that might be needed for staying overnight, but now it must have looked confusing. How was she supposed to ask?

Shane was the only person she could go to.

"I, um, it's stupid, but, how do I say it, may I, just," words were coming out of her mouth, sounding like a babble. She started nervously changing her weight from one foot to another.

"Hailie," he put his hand on her arm, trying to calm her down. With his other hand he took her bags and looked inside. The second thing he noticed, after the toothbrush, were pajamas. "Do you want to stay over?" he asked, not knowing what to think of that.

"Yes," she whispered, not daring to look into his eyes.

"Want to tell me what happened?"

He thought it was something about Lucien. In Shane's opinion he was nothing more than a trouble. He had to deal with his kind in the work several times.

"Not really."

That was the problem. She had nobody to talk with. What was she supposed to say?

I'm living with demons under the same roof. They can influence my thoughts, my feelings. Oh and by the way, Shane, if you're wondering about the missing students, they're already dead. Killed in my house. House full of blood and misery.