Chapter Forty Nine: Just a Prank

Hailie raised her hand and took a selfie with the phone. She was too lazy to make another shot, so she figured that this one should be just fine. She was barely taking any selfies at all, but there was a promise made and she was going to fulfill it.

Still alive!

She sent the message to Shane along with her photo on the background of the campus building. Finally, the classes ended and she could go back home.

"Damn it!"

Hailie looked at the lady, who stumbled upon uneven cobblestones. Now all her papers were laying on the ground and she was struggling with collecting it all.

"Let me help you." Hailie crouched down beside the woman and helped her with the students' papers. She must have been a teacher around here. There was something familiar in her, but Hailie couldn't remember if they've ever met. Maybe she saw her once on the campus, but definitely she had no classes or lectures with her. Such a shame, because she looked nice.

"For years I've been asking to fix this cobblestone. That's the only place in the campus, where I'm always falling into the trap. I wouldn't be able to count how many times I've stumbled here," she laughed and stood up, taking the papers from Hailie and putting them back to her bag. "Thank you, miss," she didn't finish, waiting for Hailie to introduce herself.

"Hailie Millis." They've shaken their hands.

The woman had some wrinkles on the face and neatly pinned up light brown hair, but it was the light green eyes, which gave up who she was, before Hailie heard her name, "Professor Blackwell, it's my pleasure to finally meet you."

Hailie slowly opened up her mouth, noticing more similarities between Mrs. Blackwell and her son.

"You're Shane's mother."

She remembered that day, when she met Shane on the campus. He was visiting his mum and dropping something off. That's when she found out that Professor Blackwell is teaching third year business and economics.

"And you're his dear friend. He's talking about you a lot, but don't tell him that I've told you that," she smiled and lightly chuckled. Hailie's instincts were telling her that Shane's mum was a good person, just as he was. "I hope you're doing fine, Hailie." She put her hand on Hailie's hands. "I've heard about your roommate's death."

Whole town already heard about this, even if the police found out yesterday.

"We weren't close at all, but thank you."

Mrs. Blackwell took her bag and checked the time on her watch.

"I need to go now, but I hope we'll meet again." She leaned to her. "It may take Shane some time, but you're always welcomed in our house, Hailie. I'd be delighted if you came for dinner once."

Hailie smiled as well and answered, "So would I," even though it wasn't possible in the nearest future.

"See you around, Hailie." Shane's mother walked away towards the campus building.

Hailie took out her phone, seeing that Shane still didn't reply to her message. She was hesitating for a moment, then she typed, I saw your mother at the campus. She's really nice. Hailie was still mad at him, but she was trying to act normal at the same time.

Usually at the parking lot she was looking for her car, trying to remember where it was parked. This time it was quite obvious, considering that Amy was laying on its hood and taking photos of herself. When Hailie saw her, she felt like screaming.

"Amy, seriously? Get off!" She delicately slapped Amy on her leg.

"Chill, Hailie. Aren't you happy to see me again?" She got off the hood.