Epilogue

Xercole always hated the feeling of his claws slicing through scales. Hated the feeling of having to obey to do something that wasn't right. Hated the feeling of killing or injuring anyone. Never in his long 40 years, Xercole would have expected that his younger sister would have to be murdered before him...

Why wasn't he there? Why had he refused? He could have saved Pegasus and Ibis, risking his own life. Xercole sighs, he should have know this was to happen sooner or later.

He got the message when Burn returned. He was guarding the entrance to the Stronghold that time. He was ready to greet his sister back from her travel. Yet Pegasus was not within the squadron of dragons. She would have been easily spotted, with pale scales clashed with freckles. Instead, another dragon walks up to Xercole with their head down. Xercole knew quite well who they were. Their name was Cubic, and always was crushing on Pegasus. Xercole almost felt bad for the SandWing when Pegasus told Xercole about her relationship with a SkyWing. Xercole always found it funny when Cubic would reveal his feelings and Pegasus wouldn't get the message.

Xercole looks down at Cubic. "What happened?" He asked calmly. Well, seemingly calm.

"Did you know Pegasus had a relationship with a SkyWing?" Cubic says sadly.

Oh no. Xercole now realizes. "No, I didn't," He lied. Don't tell me it's true. She isn't-

Cubic sighed. "Burn and Scarlet found out and killed her. The SkyWing died in the arena. There was this hybrid there too, said they were Pegasus's son."

Xercole inhales. Sunset... "What happened to the hybrid?" He makes his voice monotonous.

Cubic stretched his wings. "Well, another hybrid came in. They were mostly black, so I'm assume it was a friend of that hybrid. I wonder if there's more hybrids out there. But always... I'm sorry," he exhales, now walking away with the rest of the group.

Xercole signal's the other guard he is to leave. Xercole heads to the dunes, mourning Pegasus's death. Sunset probably witnessed his parents died, Xercole thinks as he breathes in deeply. He stares down at his dark talons. He looked nothing like Pegasus except for the golden maine and freckles. Perhaps that was the last of her within him. Freckles and gold. Precious memories too.

My nephew is out there, Xercole thinks as he stares into the sunset. Sympathy for the dragonet throws off Xercole's grief. I can't even go fine him.

Xercole returns to have dragons stare at him. Did they suspect he knew about Pegasus's relationship? Well, they suspected right. He ignored their glares, pretending to be emotionless. A word with Burn would happen soon enough. His tail slithers behind him like a snake, twitching back and forth. They don't need to question my loyalty. I've always... Will be loyal, Xercole thinks, making himself firm.

He goes inside the palace bar, sighing as he walks up to a counter. "I'll have a cup," he says, lowering his head. The SandWing serving gets out a bottle before pouring it to a wooden cup. Don't ask how there's a wooden cup in the desert. But it's wooden. Xercole abruptly drinks the liquid down, feeling some slide down his jaw.

"Rough day?" The SandWing asks.

Xercole sighs. "I suppose. But I know someone who's had it rougher," he replied in exhaustion. He looks outside a small window where the soldier were soaking in the sun, did any of those SandWings also loose family? Were they aware that a fellow soldier was killed by their own queen? "You know what, I'll have another," Xercole says.

"This war makes any day seem bad," The servant says, "Sometimes, you just gotta hear ourselves instead of relying on tranquilizers such as liquid. But who am I to judge?"

Xercole stares at the cup. "Why do you work here then?" He muttered.

The SandWing grins. "I get to talk to dragons all day. I've heard some wacky stories out there," He replies cheerfully, "Also because I don't wanna go to war. Who has darn time for that? I sure don't!" He looks at Xercole curiously. Xercole looks down at the cup in his talons.

"You're right," he says, returning the cup, "I should go probably accept that life is unfair sometime." Sunset will be healing too. Wherever he is, he'll be fine. Xercole walks towards the exit, ready to confront anyone who doubted his loyalty, Sunset probably would have a better life than me. Maybe even do something big and important. He'll prove all those that hybrids are worthy of living. I just know it.

"Hey, mate! You forgot to pay!" The serving SandWing calls out.

Xercole laughs at himself. "Oops."

End

T

his is Book 1 of Hero's Journey Series. Check out Hero's Journey, Book 2