Chapter 3

The day after that, Ibis had left again. Pegasus was upset, but told Sunset that she promised to stay a while longer. Sunset had tried to stop Ibis from going, although that did no good. So Pegasus and Sunset took the rest of that day flying out in the sand, looking for any prey they could catch. The day  after that, Pegasus had taken Sunset to visit the forest where the desert ended. Sunset was amazed to see the new terrain, although they had to hide every time they would hear distant wingbeats. When looking up, Sunset was able to see black scales against a bright blue sky, there was several other theme, and they seemed to be in a hurry.

"What are those dragons?" Sunset had asked his mother.

Pegasus had put a wing over him. "Those are NightWings. They are dark and mysterious since where they live is unknown and they are hard to find. They can read minds and tell the future, it was a miracle they were far enough not to hear us," she told him. Sunset stared at the NightWings flying away, it was scary but fascinating to know those were able to have those powers.

"I want a NightWing friend!" Sunset chirped, promising himself that he'll get one eventually.

Pegasus let a chuckle before spreading her wings. "Let's go home, Sunset," She told him before darting off into the sky. Sunset wanted to keep watching any dragon that passed by, but he did as he was told.

Of course, all of this happened a month ago, and Sunset was now alone again, watching the sky every night for any signs of his mother or father. This time it took longer than usual, and Sunset was now worrried.

"Dragonet are you in there?" Yelled a voice from the outside. Sunset perked his ears, this voice wasn't his mother's nor father's.

"Xercole?" Sunset called back, it was the only voice he couldn't quite remember clearly.

There was a snicker of laughter. "Oh, of course it is me! I want to see you so badly," the voice said. Sunset narrowed his SandWing eyes. Xercole sounded serious and friendly, he remembered that. This new voice sounded evil, lile the criminals back in the Scorpion Den.

Scorpion Den! Oh no, had a gang followed me? Sunset realized, unsure of what to do, I need to go somewhere safe! The four year old dragonet grabbed everything he could think of: money, an old portrait of Ibis, and Pegasus' favorite rock, a shiny golden one. He stuffed them all into his bag, then remembered bandits took things of value, so he took all of the gold coins that Pegasus stored. His bag was heavy now, and he couldn't think of anything else that was valuable.

"Hey open up! It's rude to keep family waiting, you know?" The voice growled, now more impatiently.

"Now how do I get out?" Sunset whimpered, his eyes scanning the place frantically. He inhaled before peaking through a small hole on the hut's wall.

The few scales he saw were not SandWing, nor SkyWing. He was confused. The color reminded him of wet dirt and moss, which he had seen back when he was in the forest. What does another dragon tribe want with me? He huffed.

Now the dragon was banging the door forcefully. "Open up dragonet! Your father wants to see you! Don't make me burn the house down!" The dragon snarled, and Sunset could smell smoke from the other side of the  door. Sunset inhaled, he wasn't going to let the dragon burn down his home.

He would beat them.

Sunset opened the door with his jaw wide open, letting a blast of fire. The dragon growled, swinging its head. Sunset  spread his wings and flew off towards the forest, he knew there were plenty of hiding spots there, and if he tried hiding in the sand now, the dragon would see where he went.

"I'm a MudWing who was born in a blood red egg, dragonet! Nice try! Come here now!" The dragon roared. Sunset flapped as fast as he SkyWing wings could, he looked back, seeing brown-dark green scales. The dragon was way bigger than Sunset thought. Powerful muscles could be seen, and a ugly scar went across the MudWing's nose.

Sunset could tell she was getting tired of flying in intense heat, a SandWing advantage he had. He flew lower into the sand, where he knew it would be hotter as the sand reflected the heat.

As soon as he saw the forest in the horizon, he was relieved, flying into the trees and mountain-like terrain. He found a small cave, large enough to hold a big dragonet and was blocked by dense pine trees.

A few moments later he could hear footsteps. "We didn't meet appropriately, dragonet," The MudWing's voice echoed through the forest, "My name is Caiman. I am a MudWing. Now, this conversation woukd be better if you would come out of your hiding spot."

Sunset breathed heavily, keeping as still as possible, I can't return home, can't I? How long am I supposed to stay in here? I want to go home! Mother! Father! Where are you? He pleaded.

Caiman let a snare. "Don't be a weak RainWing! Come here and face me like the tough dragon you are!" She roared before sighing, "Why did I agree to this? We are in the opposite side of the war anyway."

Opposite side of the war? Agree to what? Sunset thought, trying to remember the little about war his parents taught him. MudWings... which sister did they belong to?

"MudWing!" Several voices snarled.

Caiman growled, "This isn't even SkyWing territory! By all moons!" Soon Caiman's wingbeats seemed distant. Sunset peaked out his head, looking at the sky. Different shades of red flew after the blurry shape of Caiman.

He stepped out, quite confused and terrified. Where do I go? Sunset thought. Caiman would most likely look back at the hut. He didn't know where.

SkyWing.

If there were SkyWings nearby, then Ibis must have been close too. Sunset looked around, yet he had no idea which way was which. He didn't even remember where the desert was, he couldn't find it. He let his wings drop, he knew nothing. He was useless.

Sunset was lost.