Chapter 9

"Aunt Topaz?" Sunset exclaimed, he had definitely heard that name before. He felt himself turn small. Topaz grinned, landing immediately. Anubis let a small growl, triggering Caiman to bare her teeth at the hybrid.

Topaz slithered around Sunset. "Leave him alone!" Anubis growled before Caiman tackled him. Sunset was too shocked to react, feeling himself be knocked off his feet. All he saw were giant golden wings, tying cloth around Sunset's snout. Fire blasted from Anubis mouth before Sunset could see the blur of Anubis' head flopping to the ground.

No! Sunset thought desperately, forcing himself free out of the ropes that had been tossed around him.

"Not today, hybrid!" A male voice declared, beginning to lift Sunset off the ground. Sunset didn't try to wiggle free, he could feel claws dug into his neck, and if he struggled, those claws would kill him.  He could spread his wings either, he was tied in a cob webs of ropes. He noticed Caiman next to his carrier, struggling to keep Anubis' unconscious body in her claws.

"What are you going to do t- to us?" Sunset asked, or at least tried to. His mouth was forced shut.

Topaz flew closer, perhaps she understood. "Well first... We'll be giving your friend away to Queen Scarlet. With you... Still need to think about it," she smiled smudgy.

"Mom," The SkyWing that carried Sunset said abruptly, "Dad said Burn would be visiting soon. That means we could get this creatures mother too." Sunset frowned. He wasn't a creature!

This SkyWing... He's my cousin! He's family! Why is he doing this? Sunset thought as he noticed SkyWing villages below.

Topaz let a snort. "I told you to stop socializing with Prince Hawk," She scowled, "But, very well."

"Ouch!" Sunset yelped as he fell to the cold stone floor next to Anubis. He looked back, watching as his gold and red cousin locked both of these hybrids up in this prison.

Caiman had her wings wrapped around a small copper red MudWing, he had tears streaming down his face. He was trapped in here... Alone... Sunset thought, he was glad that he had friended Anubis, even though he was unconscious. Caiman shot Sunset a glare before the MudWings left out of the prison. "Anubis... Anubis wake up!" Sunset said, shaking the NightWing hybrid.

"Shut up, will you? Three moons, your voice is so whiney!" Sunset's cousin scowled. Sunset couldn't help realized there was a hint of act in the SkyWing's voice.

Sunset pressed himself against the bars. "Get us out of here, cousin. I know you're good-" Sunset was interrupted by a laugh. "E- Ex- Excuse me?" Sunset said anxiously.

"Pfft- It's so weird to be called cousin," He muttered, stroking the gold rims on his dark red horns, "Please don't do that, I am not a cousin of an abnormal creature like you. So please, call me Ares."

Sunset felt his heart sink. "We're family! I'm not a creature, I'm a dragon. Like you!" Sunset protested, "J- Just give me a chance! Let me out, with Anubis and-"

Ares shook his head. "No. What mom says, goes." He said with a shrug.

Sunset frowned, "Fine, I'll get out myself!" He declared before inhaling and blasting fire at the rails. He was surprised they didn't melt; however, they were extremely hot. Ares jumped back, escaping the fire that went between each rail.

"Watch it, no-brain! Talons and tails, why did it have to be this dragon I had to guard?" Ares growled, flapping away the smoke. The SkyWing grumbled to himself, "I hope mother gets back soon..."

Where did Topaz go? Sunset thought anxiously, looking back at the rising and falling chest of Anubis. For the first time, the hybrid didn't look grumpy. "What do you mean come back?" Sunset questioned. She will probably get someone to kill us! Would she kill me? Why does she hate father and mother so much... What did I do? Ares only let a growl for a reply, laying down against a wall. He let small coughs before putting a wing over his head. "Are you sleeping?" Sunset questioning. He knew he wouldn't be able to, he had gotten used to the late night flying. His wings were ready for any flight, anytime. Ares didn't answer.

I guess I have to try and sleep... Sunset concluded, looking out of the small window behind Ares. He could see the street lamps, the fire struggling to remain alive in this cold mountain air. "I want to go back to the desert," Sunset muttered to himself, trying to make the best of this small cell. He found himself room besides Anubis, barely able to squish there. "I miss mother and father..."

"Oh would you be quiet? You're making me depressed!" Ares growled then let a sigh. "I'm sorry, I can't free you. If I do, mom would get mad. You do not want to see her mad!" Ares winced, he seemed to be stuck on a flashback. Sunset looked at the SkyWing in surprise. Ares shook his head violently, "Just- Try not to escape, okay?"

Sunset didn't answer, he wouldn't be able to make that promise...