Chapter 12

Sunset looked back at Ares. The SkyWing seemed uninterested with what was going on. "Is this a goodbye?" Sunset whispered, looking at Ares. He helped us, and he's my cousin... I don't like saying goodbye... Anubis snorted in the back, muttering to himself as if he was looking for ways to go down without alarming the SandWings.

Ares barked a laugh. "Goodbye? I don't wish for a affectionate farewell!" He roared, "I'm going to have my head off either way!" Ares eyes saddened, his huge wings dropping.

Anubis hummed, "Well you can still have the life of an outsider. Perhaps go to the new town of Possibility. Or join the forming Talons of-"

Ares rolled his eyes. "I would rather eat slugs than become a rouge!" He growled, Anubis winced. "I'm going to fight in war. That's what I do best."

"But Topaz is very familiar with the soldiers around here, isn't she?" Sunset argued, "Especially with my father working for Scarlet herself."

Ares shook his head. "I'm going with the low ranking soldiers, those that patrol the land beyond the palace," He commented, "Now I must leave, I hope I never see you again, cowards." Ares proceeds to jump out of the balcony, letting the wind catch his huge wings and he flaps away without looking back once. Sunset's heart dropped as Ares was soon lost in the view of the dark sunset.

"I'm not a coward," Sunset whispered, upset. Ares must have definitely gained friendship with us. He was just acting, it was hard for Sunset to accept his own kin had abandoned him willingly.

Anubis sighed. "Let's just hurry up with getting you to your parents. I'm getting tired of these darn SkyWing scales. By the moons, why are SkyWings so bright and annoying?"

Sunset gasped, offended. He tapped the enchanted object thoughtfully. "SkyWings are cool. Besides, you too are bright with those yellow scales of yours."

"That's different-"

Anubis and Sunset slowly crept towards the SandWings. Their wings fought against the night mountain wind, almost blowing them away as if they were caught in a sandstorm. Anubis struggling the most, as he wasn't used to having large SkyWing wings. The heavy pouch of jewelry seemed to weight him down. Sunset supposed Anubis didn't really have any reason to fly usually when he would have jewelry to take around in a cart. The same as the stuggling SeaWings when Caiman had chased him out of the confort of his home many sunrises ago.

"Queen Burn! It is a pleasure to meet you!" A rumbling roar uprised, startling the flying dragons. Sunset looks down to see a large brown blur. Sunset noticed it was a MudWing, it's shoulders very muscular and buff. That was just MudWing build.

"I'm assuming Blister has done something wrong that made you leave her alliance, Moorhen," Burn hissed, "Or have you realized how arogant she is? She's all think and no do, isn't she?" Her words were almost out of Sunset's reach but he still grasped the words of the angry SandWing. Moorhen mumbled something which made Burn turn around from the MudWing, flaring her wings. Then Queen Scarlet and her bodyguards walk up to them.

"What did Blister do that made the MudWings abandon her side?" Anubis muttered, flying closer.

"Hey!"

The two dragons turned to see a SkyWing soldier behind them. Both of them gasped. "Are you spying on Her Majesty's meeting?" He hissed. Sunset blinked to recognize the rusty color for the SkyWing with a few patches of red here and there. Blood red wings scorched with war.

"We were just flying by," Anubis was first to reply to the soldier who coincidentally happened to be Ibis, Sunset's father. Sunset couldn't help but smile in relief.

"You will be reported to authorities immediately, spies," Ibis growled, flying towards Scarlet.

"Father no!" Sunset growled, darting over Ibis.

"What do you mean father?" Ibis hissed as they began falling out of the sky. Sunset hung closely to Ibis, flaring his wings. It was no use as they couldn't hold the weight of both himself and his father. Fire blasted over his head, he must have noticed Ibis thought the SkyWing Sunset was disguised in was fighting against him.

"Oof!" Sunset wheezed as he landed on top of warm scales, having Ibis's armor impaling his face. His vision blurs, he feels sick as he is crushed between scales.

"Queen Scarlet! I must speak with you at once!" A familiar voice demands angrily, followed with the slam of giant doors.

"What in the moons!" Burn roared, Sunset could hear the anger and disturbance in the SandWing's voice. He feels Ibis wince, slowly getting up. Sunset is suddenly able to breathe again. He gasps for breathe as he realizes the SandWing underneath him is hissing with anger. He turns to see the SkyWing queen with a furious frown on her face, smoke rising from her nose. Sunset looks up to see Anubis is gone. The dragon that wanted to speak with Scarlet was looking down Ibis with amused eyes, a evil fire burning in her blue eyes... Blue eyes.

Topaz.

"Oh great. This dragonet did the hard work for me," Topaz muttered, giving Sunset a small nod. He wishes to frown, but all he feels is horrifying terror.

"I'll leave," Moorhen says bluntly, taking her MudWing soldiers with her. Burn glares at Topaz, flicking her tongue viciously.

Topaz looks at Burn and Scarlet, "I fear there is an intertribal relationship underneath our noses," She glares at Ibis, her wings flaring at him. Ibis tenses. Suddenly he is cornered by the other SkyWing soldiers. "I think my loyalty to the SkyWings and for the good of dragon kind is more important than my brother's foolish relationship with a SandWing soldier. They have a dragonet, hidden from both tribes."

Scarlet and Burn give each other doubtful looks. Scarlet is first to answer. "What is the meaning of this? First you come crashing down during our meeting and now you are also a traitor?" She snaps at Ibis, who has his head low. She faces Topaz, "Do you know where's that dragonet? I believe Burn would love it as a dazzling gif-"

"Who's the mother," Burn interrupts her. Sunset is there, petrified. He wishes he could scream he's the dragonet. Instead he's unable to move and see his parents get in grave trouble.

Topaz grins. "Her." She bellows, walking towards the SandWing soldiers and goes to the very back, where a startled Pegasus stares as she too was petrified as Sunset was. The SandWings around Pegasus begin yelling at Sunset's mother.

"Stop!" Sunset cries, yet is silent under the scowls of the SandWings. He sees his mother tearing up. He sees Burn walk towards Pegasus with a trail of smoke behind her. A barbed tail raises and before Sunset could breathe, the tail swing to and in Pegasus's chest.

"No!" Sunset and Ibis screamed in union. Sunset slids off the bracelet. He hears the dragons around him gasp as he gallops towards Pegasus with intense greif. "Don't die!" He cries.

Pegasus sniffs, gurgling as Burn's tail retracts with blood dripping.

"I'm sorry you had to see this..." Pegasus says before dropping dead.

"Get the dragonet!"

"Sunset! Flee!" Ibis yells. Sunset hesitantly leaves his mother's side and dodges several SandWing tails. He hears roaring and fire behind him. He leaps in the air to only be pulled back down. He feels a spear go through his wing. He screams in pain as he falls into the grasp of soldiers. He turns to see Ibis held down, with a spear pointed to his head.

Sunset feels sick. This is how it ends... Isn't it.