Chapter 13

Where am I?

I want to go back home...

I want my mother...

"Wake up dragonet!" A booming voice awoke Sunset up. He looked around blindly, stretching to only find that his wings and arms were cuffed with iron. His vision clears and he sees iron bars surrounding him. A SkyWing soldier is watching him intensely, a bored gaze that made Sunset yelp. "Before Burn kills you, Scarlet wants to check if you have any information that might be useful to us," The guard growls, unlocking the prison. Sunset is forced out. He sees his wings with open wounds. Everything else was fine.

"I don't have any useful information," Sunset admits.

The SkyWing snorts, "We'll see about that. Move faster." Sunset winces as he's lightly poked with a spear. He waddles forward, finding it tiring to drag chains behind him.

Where's Anubis? Did he leave me here to die? Sunset realizes with a sad ping in his chest. He shakes the thought away, Anubis wouldn't do that. He's my friend. He wouldn't leave me... Sunset is escorted to a great hall, he could hear cheering. He sniffs the air to smell smoke and warm bodies.

"Wooo!" He hears in the distance.

"What's happening?" Sunset asks his guard, they only snort for a reply before he was lead to a balcony. He sees the huge bodies of Burn and Scarlet together, watching forward to a sandy plain. Stone and cement builder up walls with seating for dragons to sit on. Sunset gulps as Scarlet turns to him.

"Finally! You're just in time! Come see your father in the thrilling battle. Let's see if he survives!" She says as Sunset is shoved forward. He feels small between Scarlet and Burn, he could feel Burn's tail twitch in anticipation. Sunset kinda wished her barbed tail had stabbed him already. He looks forward to see Ibis on one side of the arena, with a SandWing in the other.

"Claws up! Fire ready! Fight!" A bright red SkyWing announces. Ibis leaps back as the SandWing immediately breaths out a blast of fire. Sunset watches as Ibis tackles the SandWing until both are throwing sand everywhere as they become a ball of claws and teeth and fire.

He's fighting! Sunset was suddenly hit with the realization, What if he doesn't win! He looks at Burn and Scarlet, too busy watching the battle...

Ibis let's out a roar as the SandWing slaps him with a wing. The rusty SkyWing shakes off the pain and charges towards the SandWing nipping at its neck. The SandWing instead sinks it's claws into his shoulders, blood begins oozing from different wounds on different dragons as they fought for dear life.

Sunset couldn't bare it anymore...

"Father!" Sunset screams, leaping off the balcony and falling into the arena.

"Get him!" Scarlet roars. There is suddenly intense yelling everywhere by the crowd. 

Ibis gives Sunset his full attention. "Sunset no-" Unfortunately, Ibis is unable to finish as the SandWing takes the opportunity to stab his barbed tail through Ibis's exposed throat. Sunset freezes as he watched Ibis's eyes widen in disbelief. He turns to the SandWing with a furious expression before falling to the sand below.

"No!" Sunset screams, running towards his father. He feels claws grab him and lift him off the ground. Sunset squirms, "I want my father!" I killed him. I killed him. I killed him, kept ringing in Sunset's head.

"Stop you idiot! I'm saving you!" The voice snaps as Sunset is forced to stay still by a pressure to his wings. He's getting out of the arena at an abnormal speed. Sunset watches in disbelief the blur of his father as he is carried away from the SkyWing palace. "By the moons! I'm going to have to take those cuff of yours away. You're heavy!" Sunset is let off a cliff.

Sunset blinks back tears, focusing on the grass under his claws. "Anubis?"

The hybrid let's out a sigh as he mouths a spell. He doesn't have the SkyWing disguise on. Sunset's cuffs immediately dissolve into grains of sand that get carried away in the wind. His ripping wings were magically healed again with no scars. Anubis stares at the ground for a moment, before looking into Sunset's eyes. "I'm sorry for your losses. I promise everything's going to be okay." Sunset nods, half listening because of his grief. Both his mother and father were dead. He was an orphan... A spear lands in front of Anubis. Both look back to see an entire army of SkyWings and SandWings.

"Let's go!" Anubis yells as he flimsy throws the spear back. Sunset inhales as he leaps off the cliff and spreads his wings. They watch the village under them run far behind him until there's fewer and fewer SkyWing homes. The palace is now far. Sunset looks back to see fire only a few breaths away from his tail. Anubis turns back to fight off a dark SandWing, impaling his enchanted emeralds down it's scales. Sunset watches the body fall.

No more running away, Sunset thinks furiously as he turns to the SkyWing before him and blasts fire into its face. He hears shrieks before claws scratch his face. Sunset backs up in pain before kicking off his opponent. Another SkyWing appears above him, swooping down with claws outstretched. Pressure is added to his throat and suddenly he can't breathe. He shakes off whoever is pressuring down on him.

Sunset now hears the grunts of Anubis as a dragon roars in the highest pitch ever. Anubis's face is covered in blood, with his chest full of scratches. Then a tail wings into the back of Anubis's skull. The Animus jitters as he falls to the forest below them.

"Anubis!" Sunset shrieks, blasting fire as he glides to Anubis's safety. I'm not loosing anyone else! The Animus is now safely in Sunset's grasp. They fall into the trees and the forest ground. Anubis let's out a gasp as a SkyWing appears behind them. Anubis leaps forward but is thrown away. Sunset angers, his heart aching as he knocks down the SkyWing with full force and with no hesitation sink his claws into his throat. The SkyWing gurgling, scratching Sunset's snout. "Damn everything!" Sunset cries and he breaks down into sobs. He shakes his head and shakes the blood of his talons. He gasps as he finds Anubis laying down, bleeding against a rock. "No! Anubis not you too!" Sunset feels light-headed for once.

"I'm not dead you idiot!" Anubis wheezes. Sunset sighs in relief.

"Let's get out of here!" Sunset whispers as he carried Anubis on his back. He limps towards the nothingness of the forest, watching above to make sure the SkyWings were no where near...

There was that occasional sound of wing beats...

"You must go without me," Anubis says at last after who knows how much time of walking.

Sunset shakes his head. "Of course not."

Anubis climbs off Sunset's back, unable to get up. "Go on without me!" He snarls, "I'm just dead weight, I'll stall them... If they find me."

Sunset tries to get Anubis up but is tired himself. "I won't leave you. I can't leave you." He says, "I don't want to be alone, not without you."

Anubis smiles as he pushes Sunset away lightly. "You're so clingy," He says, "You must go. You have a life ahead of you. I don't. I've done nothing but bad things. I've killed and abused this curse of magic."

Sunset has no more tears left to cry. "No Anubis. We'll go together and-"

Anubis shakes his head lifting up a stick with his bloody claws. "I enchant this stick to give Sunset the hybrid Animus powers he could only use wisely," Anubis says weakly. Sunset himself feels nothing but terror.

Sunset shakes his head. "No I don't want magic! I want you to stop being stubborn and not give up on m-"

Anubis flares at Sunset. "JUST LEAVE YOU IDIOT!" He roars. Sunset winces, backing off a few steps.

"I don't want to..."

Anubis sighs, "You must."

Sunset puts his wings on Anubis. "I won't forget you," He says in defeat.

Anubis smiles. "I hope you won't. I'm just death and chaos."

Sunset gives back a sad smile as Anubis closes his eyes and rests his head on the ground. He looks like he's at peace, his black wings no longer tensed. Sunset let's off a few whimpers before he grabs Anubis's magic jewelry bag and heads off back home.

He knew the way home...