Chapter 2

Sunset woke up to thumping against the hut. He quickly hid the hearing he had been clutching to, under his sleeping mat, he knew it would be safe there. He ran out to find out what was going on.

Sunset gasped as he notices scales the color of rust and blood-red underwings. Copper eyes shifted to Sunset, as if they were relieved and skeptical. "Father!" Sunset cried, galloping to his father, so happy to see him.

"What's that on you neck? Where did you get that, Sunset?" The SkyWing demanded with a feirce voice. It took a while for Sunset to figure out what he meant.

Oh no! I'm so in trouble! Sunset thought then put his head down. "I found it out on the sand," He lied, guilt rippling down his chest.

Ibis tilted his head doubtfully. "You found that necklace in the middle of nowhere?" Ibis retorted. Sunset realized how lame of a lie that was.

If only I had remembered I had it on! Sunset blamed himself before nodding slowly. Ibis sighed, unbelieving. "C- Can I still have it on?" Sunset plead, he actually liked having this small piece of jewelry. It was starting to become part of him. The SkyWing snorted for an answer before nodding a bit.

Sunset followed his father to get wooden bowls and fetched water in the small oasis besides their small hut. Sunset was worried: Ibis was awfully quiet and his movements were slower than usual. Ibis' face looked destroyed, as if something terrible had happened. It's my fault! I should have hid the necklace too! Sunset thought as he noticed his father sighing constantly. Sunset took a sip of water from the bowl. "Why aren't you drinking yours?" Sunset asked Ibis, who's water bowl was still full.

"Oh um. I'm just thoughtful," Ibis mumbled, "Where's your mother?"

Sunset blinked. "I haven't seen her in days either," He admitted, sipping again.

Ibis let out another sigh. "I have something important to tell you both," He grumbled in the way as if that something important made him upset. Sunset's heart pounded, he hated seeing his father this way.

"Hungry? I can go fetch you a camel if you want!" Sunset chirped, wanting to cheer Ibis up.

Ibis only shook his head. "I'm tired. We had a battle against IceWings, they were attacking a small village outside the SkyWing Palace." He grumbled, "My head hurts, I will take a quick nap and wait till your mother comes, she had agreed to meet up here today." Sunset's heart sank. His father just couldn't go to sleep! Sunset wanted Ibis to fly with him, talk with him, stay with him. Ibis took his bowl inside the hut, before making himself comfortable, curling up with his wings hiding his face. Sunset watched, upset and anxious.

I should have told him the truth! Then he wouldn't be upset! Sunset cried in his mind. The hybrid curled up besides his father, snuggling into his side affectionately before closing his eyes.

Later that night, Sunset and Ibis waited for Pegasus to show up. She wasn't home yet, and Ibis was beginning to worry.

Then in the distance, faint wingbeats could be hear and pale blurrs flew through the sky like a shooting star. Sunset let a jitter of joy. "Look! I think its mother!" He chirped, unable hold his excitement of seeing both of his parents again. Ibis narrowed his eyes a bit to notice the incoming spot in the sky.

"She has a companion," Ibis mutter, flapping his wings frantically, "Sunset! Hide!"

Sunset's heart pounded. "W-Why? What's going on, father!" He protested, now petrified. Ibis opened his mouth but no words came. The SkyWing grabbed Sunset before flapping wildly in the air. Sunset couldn't move, he was too scared to do so.

"Wait! That won't be necessary!" Pegasus' voice echoed to them. Ibis blinked in surprise, before flying down and letting go of Sunset. The 4-year-old dragonet sighed in relief, although his heart still ached from the panic Ibis gave him. Soon enough Sunset could see Pegasus' shape, with and another SandWing. As both of them landed, Sunset could see Pegasus had several scratched on her face, and the other tan and sun gold SandWing had a horn broken and a ripped ear.

Ibis narrowed his eyes on the new SandWing. "Who is this? What happened to you?" He demanded in a fierce growl that made Sunset jump.

Pegasus put a wing on the SandWing, but she recoiled as if it hurt her. "Ibis, this is my brother I've been talking to you about," She said in a happy tone, then limped ove to Ibis and Sunset, "Brother, this is my family."

The SandWing bowed his head a bit. "My name is Xercole. I've been hearing so much of you two. It's an honor to meet you," Pegasus' brother said the walked over to Sunset. A smile appeared on his face, "You must be Sunset, ny nephew. You look so strong and healthy."

Sunset looked away shyly. No one has ever complimented him openly besides his mother. Ibis let a small huff before check out Pegasus' new scars. "Why didn't you heal those?" Ibis demanded. Sunset went to go inside to get water.

"Don't be angry with me, Rusty. Today's battle went a little harsh. That's why Xercole came with me tonight, I had injured my wings a little bit and he volunteered to take me home safely in case my wings stopped suddenly in mid flight," Pegasus' voice muttered.

"Yes, Ibis sir. I hope my presence didn't bother you," Xercole said calmly. Sunset admired Xercole's voice; it was more gentle and friendlier than Ibis' growls.

"Of course not, Xercole. You're Pegasus' brother. B- B- But I- I- have news for you. I'm sorry but I-" Ibis' voice had started strong but it became quiet as he got to the main point. Sunset gasped, worry pouncing against his heart. He grabbed the water bowls before heading outside. He had missed what Ibis said, but it must have been bad news. Pegasus looked destroyed, having her wings wrapped around Ibis, who looked guilty.

"Mother! Father! What happened?" He asked, flicking his tail anxiously. Xercole clicked his tongue sympathetically before taking one of Sunset's water bowls.

"Oh Sunset!" Pegasus cried, releasing Ibis and wrapped Sunset with her wings into a tight hug.

Sunset was terrified to the point he bursted out crying. "Mother, w- wha- what's wrong?" He sobbed, burying his head into her chest.

Xercole cleared his through. "Sunset, my nephew. Your father has earned a better rank in the Sky Kingdom," He replied since neither of his parents had replied to him. Ibis narrowed his eyes but said nothing.

"Really?" Sunset whimpered, followed by sniffles.

Xercole nodded. "He'll now provide saftey for the SkyWing queen. Isn't that a good thing?"

"Y- Y- Yeah, I- I guess."

"But he has to stay with her, or else bad guys would attack her and she would get hurt. Do you understand?" Xercole asked after a gulp of water. Sunset nodded. "Good. Now don't worry about it, okay? You'll still be seeing your father from time to time, just not as usual as you do at the moment." Pegasus opened her mouth horrified, but said nothing. At this point, Sunset didn't understand what was going on.

Xercole let a smile before turning to Sunset's parents. "I'll be going now. I must watch over the palace before Burn comes back noticing one of her guards is missing," He said before spreading his wings which were the color of the sun, "It was a pleasure meeting you, Sunset. You too, Ibis."

"Fly safely, brother," Pegasus whispered, dismissing Xercole.

Ibis stayed quiet, before entering the hit with droppy wings.

Sunset was confused. If he wasn't supposed to worry about it, then why were Pegasus and Ibis upset?