Chapter 10

Sunset looked down at the dead rabbit that had been tossed into the small prison. Ares let a snort before hiding away in the corner, trying to look as serious as possible. Sunset was too upset to eat. His stomach disagreed with him entirely, so the small Hybrid found himself eating like a vicious starved MudWing before licking the favor off the bones. He didn't know how much time he had spent in here, but it felt like endless moons.

"Some of that was supposed to be for your friend over there," Ares grumbled, flicking his wing towards the limp body of Anubis. The animus dragon hadn't woken up yet. Sunset hid his face, embarrassed. Ares let a sigh before saying, "That's fine. I'll go hunt again. At least I won't have to stay in here listening to your whining." The SkyWing violently flared out of the prison, his wings unfolding as if they were ready to catch the wind anytime.

Talons and tails, I probably look like I'm selfish and unmannered. Sunset thought anxiously. He gave the bars a shake. He's not here. I can try to escape again... He blasted fire at the railing again, finding that the fireproof metal would always remain fireproof. He slammed himself several times into the bars before falling backwards, tiredly. His head throbbed, seeing illusions. It seemed that the iron door opened itself. He rubbed his eyes, before feeling a strong tug on his tail. He let a yelp as he was pulled out of the cell, and out of the prison up a staircase. He spread his wings for wind to catch them after days. He didn't expect it to be noon, where the sun was barely visible through the huge gap for a doorway. He heard the shuffling of wings before two full grown SkyWings looked down at the baffled Sunset. He didn't know what had happened.

"Enchant these emeralds to turn into a blade and cut those SkyWing's throats before turning back to an innocent emerald," A voice whispered behind Sunset. Both flame red SkyWings let a cry of alarm, flapping away. Sunset gasped as he noticed something sharp and shiny fly past him and into the SkyWings. They both let out screams that began to sound like muffled gurgles. Sunset turned away as blood spattered violently everywhere in the room, including Sunset's face, before the thud of fallen SkyWing corpses. The jingling of jewelry inside a bag snapped Sunset out of shock. He watched black and sandy yellow scales rush to a pouch hanging on a hook. Dark eyes gave off guilty beams. "Let's get out of here before more SkyWings come," he said, clutching a bloody emerald to his chest.

Sunset frowned at Anubis. "Why did you kill them? They were innocent dragons!" He snapped.

Anubis let out a scowl. "It was either their life or ours. I don't have time to argue with you, let's just get out," he snapped. Sunset had no choice but to follow out behind Anubis.

"Wait you unintelligent seals!" Ares's voice roared behind him, "I'm going to have my head off..."

Anubis growled. "Fly faster, I'll take care of him." He hissed, turning to face Ares.

Sunset stopped, "No you won't!" He snapped, pulling Anubis's tail. He winced as he felt the barb tip lightly slash against the palm of his talon. He let a small cry, before shaking his entire arm violently. It STUNG. A blast of fire pasted by Sunset's wing. He glared as Anubis slashed his claws across Ares's face while the other dragon kicked him away with another blast of fire. The hybrid's barbed tail swung everywhere as the SkyWing dodged it several times. It won't be long till Anubis uses his magic, Sunset thought before flying into the battle at full speed, grabbing the black hybrid's neck and pulling him away from Ares. The SkyWing was baffled, immediately letting out a roar of distress and chasing after the hybrids.

"W- What are y- you doing?" Anubis demanded between gurgles.

"Saving your tail and his," Sunset grunted, struggling to keep the hybrid between his talons.

Anubis hissed in fury. "Why are you saving- I CAN FLY TOO YOU KNOW!" Sunset released the older dragon before darting towards the woods. Ares and his cursing overwhelmed his own thoughts. Anubis was once again falling behind. Sunset twisted his head to see Anubis facing Ares with his claws outstretched. "Leave us now or die, hothead!" The hybrid snapped as he searched through his bags. Sunset was struck by a rage. Why couldn't Anubis ever listen to him? He was definitely using his magic at it's extent now, dangerously.

What if he ends up killing me? What if he looses his soul entirely? Sunset shook the thoughts away, I can't leave him alone in the vulnerable state! He needs me! Ares was now snapping at Anubis from all angles, circling around the hybrid. It would be any moment now that Anubis would use his magic in pure anger. "Stop fighting!" Sunset roared as he tackled down the SkyWing from the sky.

"You chose death," Ares hissed as he began opening his mouth.

Sunset jammed the SkyWing's mouth shut as they both crashed into trees. "No, You're choosing death! He's an Animus! He'll kill you!" Sunset cried, then looking back to see Anubis descending from the sky. He had several bracelets gathered around his talons. His dark eyes were full of rage and anger. "Relax, Anubis. You're letting your magic control you!" Sunset roared, making his voice as harsh as possible. Anubis winced, his claws began to gitter.

Ares seemed terrified now. "I- I'll leave you alone... B- But please don't kill me!" He muttered as Sunset released him.

Anubis landed softly, flipping a ruby. "You're making that quite hard to do," he muttered, putting the bracelets back in the bag.

Sunset glared at them. "What do those do?" Anubis turned away, not answering. Sunset sighed. I suppose I was a little harsh on him. A sharp bolt of pain made Sunset fall from his feet. Anubis came closer, surprised. Ares looked just as bewildered.

"What's happening? Are you having a heart attack?" He asked then Sunset showed him the scratch from his palm. Anubis looked back at his tail before looking down frantically at his bag.

"H- Here," Anubis whispered as he placed gold nugget over the scratch. The pain eased, miraculously. Sunset looked up at the hybrid. He had so many questions, he needed so many answers.

None of them could be answered now.

Ares cleared his throat. "Does this mean I can lea-"

"Lead us inside the palace, and into where the guards are at," Anubis growled, "And if you refuse, I have to be concerned about the fact that you will turn us in, and to avoid that I must kill you. So, your choice."

Ares huffed. "But- fine. But I'll leave once we get to the guards," Ares muttered.

"It's a deal then."