Chapter 11

Their wings were pressed against the palace walls. Sunset prayed that none of the SkyWing soldiers would bother look at the dragons. Anubis was looking down at his pouch, as always. Ares inhaled, muttering curses to himself as his ears were perked.

"Let's go inside, now!" Ares whispered.

Sunset stiffened. "How in the moons are we going to enter without getting caught?" He asked anxiously, wrapping his wings around himself as a cold breeze reflected off the palace wall.

Ares frowned. "Well that obviously not my prob-"

"Wear this," Anubis snapped, handling Sunset a Jade bracelet.

"Did you enchant something else again?" Sunset said in wary. Ares took steps back as if he was afraid the hybrid would begin a killing spree any minute now. The hybrid let a hiss of pain. He probably thinks I don't trust him, Sunset realized in guilt, That's the last thing I want him to feel. It's obviously my fault. Now he's probably going to leave me. Just like everyone else...

Anubis snorted. "I've had these enchanted for a while. It isn't the first time I've come to the Sky Kingdom, duh," Anubis growled, "I need to blend in, or else I'm dead."

"That makes sense," Sunset mumbled as he slid on the bracelet, Anubis has the ability to be a normal dragon. But he doesn't choose to... He watched his scales shift from a warm yellow to a distinguish orange Sunset had never expected to even imagine. It was definitely strange. Watching Anubis become a blood red SkyWing was probably the most satisfying thing to see.

"Freaky. But cool," Ares muttered, "Perhaps I could probably accept you are my cousin if you look like this..." Ares flew into the palace entrance. Sunset was excited to see that Ares had called him 'cousin' that he didn't notice the SkyWing soldiers. Anubis quickly covered his pouch with a huge SkyWing wing. Ares looked back at the two. "Pretend to be my servants, keep your head low and always do what I say. Got it?"

"Got it!" Sunset chirped. He was excited to enter the SkyWing palace. I'll see father again and this time I would be able to go with him everywhere because I am a perfect SkyWing! I wouldn't have to be alone anymore!

"What brings you here? Shouldn't you be out training, Prince Ares?" One of the SkyWing's growled. Sunset gulped as he noticed that the SkyWing's jaw was twisted out of place, with several scars on on the end of they're mouth. The other guard, a burgundy SkyWing, glared at the group of dragonets. Anubis being the oldest, it must have looked weird that an adult was serving a 6 year old dragonet. Well, Sunset was sure Ares was one year older than him.

"I can stop training when I want to," Ares hissed, "Now let me pass. I was to ask the cooks for that SandWing milkshake of theirs." He pushed the scarred SkyWing aside, only to have the burgundy SkyWing point a spear to his throat.

"The SandWings are here. You cannot interrupt Her Majesty-"

"Do you want to be thrown in the arena?" Ares demanded, flaring his wings and smoke surrounding his face. Sunset blinked for a moment. SkyWing were a bit violent. Especially Ares. The two guards moved out of the way quickly. Ares folded his wings neatly as if nothing had happened and elegantly walked inside. Sunset felt his face heat up in embarrassment as the guardians watched him walk awkwardly behind the elegant prince. He tried to mimick Ares; instead he kept tripping over his own talons.

"You don't have to act like some obscured royal," Anubis muttered, watching Sunset with amusement.

"I am not an obscured royal!" Ares protested.

Sunset shrugged. "It'll help with the act. We can't just walk in looking like unmannered nobodys inside Queen Scarlet's palace," Sunset jittered in excitement, "Oooooooh I can't wait to meet the queen! She must be so strong and noble! Imagine leading an entire tribe? She must really care about the Kingdom."

Ares started laughing. "Pfft, my grandmother... Caring? Noble? Ha!" He wheezed, covering his mouth with his wings in order not to have his chatter echoing through the halls of the palace. "I'm not allowed to be here. But here I am anyway! Leading two... Cowards into the palace for who knows what! Talons and tails, what is wrong with me?" The SkyWing lead them through a narrow hallway. The walls were full of luxury, and gold was embedded into them. It was fancy.

"Everything," Anubis answered Ares, looked at Sunset skeptically with strange red SkyWing eyes, "Do you know anything of Queen Scarlet?"

Sunset dropped his wings. "Well... My parents said she's a great queen and I have nothing to worry about..." If I don't have to worry, why did they keep me distant from other dragons... He now realized.

"You're so annoyingly innocent," Ares growled as he dipped his head to a passing noble, "Your dreams will be crushed. Don't keep your hopes high, hybrid." Sunset looked away from the others. He needed time for himself, all this talk was discouraging him. His parents had lied to him to keep him safe. Yet, they left him alone at the most, putting themselves into danger as they fought teeth and claws in the war. They lied to him that they were safe. And they also lied about having a good queen?

Everyone seems to now lie to me, Sunset thought sadly.

"By the moons, here we are, finally," Ares muttered as they reached a balcony on the high tower. Bellow them was a arena with tall pillers with dragons of many colors on them. Sunset gasped as he realized their wings were forced shut and they were chained together. Besides the arena, was an opened aired room, where the SandWings were located. The blur of the Queen could be seen with the largest SandWing in the group. It was no mistake it was Queen Scarlet and Burn, no regular SkyWing would wear so much jewelry.

Sunset sighed in relief. Mother is down there. I'll get to see her once again... He thought. We'll be reunited once again.