Chapter 17: Two Become One

Jin Guangshan did not want there to be any chance of the Nie alliance disappearing so he brought the matter up in public. After addressing problems and tasking each clan to their sections Jin Guangshan clears his throat and announces.

Jin Guangshan: I believe we've heard the rumors of Qinghe Nie Clan, He Bing and my youngest nephew talking. I would like your view on this, Nie Zongzu. I would like to propose a betrothal of my youngest nephew, Jin Chan, the Grand Jin of Royal Youth to your Meimei.

     All the clan leaders and their accompanies mutter upon each other. They all quiet down and wait for Nie Zongzu's response.

Nie Mingjue feels all eyes on him: My Meimei is now of age. I know the Nie cultivation is much too tough for women thus we have no female discipline except my meimei. She has held her womanly virtues from the ladies of the Unclean Realm [even though there's only four other females]. I see no reason to not (straining his voice). If they like each other, we may see forth on the betrothal. However, I'd like to get my meimei's thoughts on this.

 However, I'd like to get my meimei's thoughts on this

Yao Zongzu: Eh, Nie Zongzu. She's just a girl. You needn't her consent to select her suitor.

Ouyang Zongzu: Yes, I agree.

    Nie Mingjue is one of the younger clan leaders and he wonders if he's doing something wrong by getting his meimei's view. He wouldn't want to force her into the marriage but she IS a girl.

Wen Zongzu unexpectedly speak up in favor of Nie Mingjue: I think we SHOULD get their views on this. It's their lives to live, not ours.

Jiang Zongzu: I agree. Besides, He Guniao is raised to the Nie name. A great name like the Nie should be of justice and fairness in all aspects.

Wen Zongzu: Yes, I would be proud if my niece would speak against me. That's the proud Wen way.

Jin Zongzu brushes his beard [totally unimpressive compared to Lan Qiren 💅] and nods: Yes, (to a jin disciple) go bring them here. Ha ha ha ha~
***********************************
Though He Bing has only vaguely answered everyone's questions, she wouldn't give up the delusional idea that there is something she must get from the stone carp.

The stone carp she refers to is an etched drawing of a fish at the bottom of the pond. No one would understand and no one had to understand. He Bing didn't want them knowing about the necklace and the flashbacks. She knows that she saw a small five petal design on the carp's fin. She had decided that it must be the button she's looking for.

The guys were all confused, even Jin Chan who somewhat knew what she's looking for. Yes, the pond was shallow but a good 4-5 feet deep at the deepest parts. Everyone knows He Guniao is a sucky swimmer but when she wouldn't give up on the idea of going into the water, the guys decided amongst themselves that one of them must go.

Jin ling brings Fairy to sit down next to He Bing: Okay, He Guniao, sit here and don't move, don't go anywhere. (Stick his hands out stiffly are her) Just sit here with Fairy. (Slowly step away)