chapter twenty-six. the dress.

The next two months fly by. I'm so busy with school work and the entire school seems to be buzzing about the Yule Ball and the Tournament. I spend most of my time with Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and the twins, managing to avoid Cedric and Malfoy for the most part. In fact, I've barely even seen Malfoy since the amortentia lesson in potions, other than the back of his head in class. Cedric and Cho seem closer than ever, strutting about the school hand in hand. I try not to let it bother me, but if I'm being honest, he's basically all I think about. As far as my plan goes, I'm in a pretty decent spot, but as much as it pains me to say it, I have to start talking to Malfoy more.

Harry and I have actually gotten much closer and I eventually told him about my night in the Astronomy Tower with Malfoy. He was really shocked, but he's pretty much over it by now. It still bothers me I never got to really talk to Cedric about it, but it is what it is. No need to dredge up the past anymore.

Overall, I'm pretty happy. It's almost December and I'm so excited to spend Christmas at the Burrow with everyone. The Yule Ball is next week and I still don't have a date, but I'm pretty sure that'll change soon. For some reason Harry and Ron are going with the Patil sisters, Ginny's going with Neville, Fred's going with Angelina, and Hermione still refuses to tell me who her date is. I suspect it's Viktor Krum by the way she's been acting, but I'll get it out of her soon enough.

I make my way up the stairs to the Astronomy Tower. It's late, nearing 11 pm. Feeling the cold air biting at my neck, I pull my hood over my head to protect myself. A chill runs down my spine and my body shivers as I reach the top.

Malfoy is standing on the edge of the balcony, looking out over the grounds. His blonde hair blows in the wind and he remains a tight grasp on the railing in front of him.

"What are you thinking about?" I ask, crossing beside him.

"Doesn't matter," he responds shortly.

"Well, then, wanna know what I'm thinking about?"

"Not particularly," he spits.

"Well, I'm thinking you're taking me to the ball," I pose, leaning up against the pillar beside me. He laughs.

"And why the hell would I want to do something like that?" he scoffs, turning and finally making eye contact with me.

"Draco, I know you like me," I smile, trying to make it not a big deal. He laughs again.

"You're delusional," he argues, crossing across the room.

"Amortentia never lies," I smile.

"Oh in your dreams, mudblood,"

"Oh no, clearly in yours," I joke.

"Would you fucking leave?" he raises his voice, clearly flustered.

"Okay, okay," I agree, heading towards the stairs. "Just think about it, yeah?"

As I leave the tower, I smile to myself. My plan of having Draco Malfoy as my date to the ball is running smoothly. As far as I'm concerned, Draco's just a way to tell if Cedric actually cares about me.

"Date night in the astronomy Tower?" I hear Fred's voice echo down the hall as I reach the bottom of the stairs.

"Are you two following me?" I ask, allowing them to catch up with me.

"No, we were just meeting some third years in the Room of Requirement for a little exchange," George explains.

"Oh, so now you're selling drugs," I laugh.

"Whatever fills our pockets," Fred defends.

"You're the worst," I roll my eyes. "Hey George, you found a date to the ball yet?"