chapter twenty-four. the amortentia.

"Ava, come sit!" Ginny calls out as I enter the Great Hall for breakfast.

"Mornin," I mumble, sitting down beside her.

"Did you forget tomorrow's Hermione's birthday?" she reminds me.

"Oh shit," I snap out of my sleepiness. "Did you plan something yet?"

"Yep, tomorrow night in the library. Don't forget,"

"You're the best, Ginny. I feel so bad I completely forgot. I might head to Hogsmeade this afternoon to grab a gift if you wanna come?" I ask.

"Can't, I'm studying with some friends," she replies.

"Guess I'll go alone, then," I shrug.

"You should take Ron," Ginny suggests. "Make sure he gets her something decent."

"You're right," I grab a piece of toast and stand up to leave. "I'll see you later."

"Ava, do not forget about tomorrow night," she urges.

"I won't, I won't," I assure her.

I walk out of the Great Hall in a rush to avoid being late for Potions. I absolutely dread this class, especially because Malfoy's in it. I haven't seen him since the little incident in the empty classroom yesterday and I was hoping to keep that streak. Slipping in the door, I sit as far from Malfoy as possible.

Professor Snape begins the lecture on Amortentia and as soon as he turns his back to the class, I see Malfoy blow a paper bird into the air. Following it with my eyes, I try to guess where it's going, but at the last second, it takes a sharp turn and lands on my desk. I groan, rolling my eyes, and slowly unfold it.

Morning, mudblood

Can't wait for your Amortentia to smell like me.

What an ass. He turns around and winks at me and I shake my head, smirking at him. Little does he know my amortentia will smell like warm vanilla and autumn. Like Cedric.

Snape breaks us into groups and we start to brew our potions. I'm partnered with Blaise Zabini, a Slytherin who happens to be one of Draco's best friends. I had the biggest crush on him in second year and he still gives me butterflies.

"Hey, can you pass me that knife?" he asks, smiling at me sweetly.

"Sure," I reach for it across the table, knocking over a vial of light blue liquid. "Shit!"

"Ms. Rootes," Snape's voice bellows behind me. "Try to be more careful in a lab setting. Next time, it could be dangerous."

"Yes, sorry Professor," I apologize, wiping up the spill.

"Okay, now we have to add the rose thorns and we should be done," Blaise reads from his textbook.

"Perfect," I say, stirring in the rose thorns.

"Everyone gather around Mr. Zabini and Ms. Rootes since you all seem incapable of following the most basic instructions," Snape instructs and everyone surrounds our station. "Mr. Zabini, what do you smell?"

Blaise hesitates slightly, looking around the room, then leaves over the cauldron and takes a deep breath.

"Red roses and cool air," he mumbles. The class breaks out in discussion of who he could possibly be speaking about.

"Sounds like Draco's mom," Pansy teases.

"Shut the fuck up, Pansy," Draco threatens.

"You next, Ms. Rootes," Snape interrupts the gossip. Leaning over the cauldron, I instantly smell Cedric. I let the smell envelope me, taking in every bit of it and letting it warm my body.

"Vanilla and autumn," I announce proudly, staring directly at Draco. He laughs it off, but I see a part of him a bit upset at the outcome. Did he really want to be the thing I desire most?

"Mr. Malfoy, you're next," Professor Snape states, slowly circling the group. Draco pushes the people in front of him out of the way, standing directly across from me. He leans over the cauldron and a look of confusion comes across his face.

"Bet it's Pansy," Blaise whispers to me.

"Really? Why Pansy?" I ask.

"They've been banging since like last year," Blaise laughs.

"Cherry vanilla?" Draco questions, taking another whiff. "Cherry vanilla and pomegranate."

My entire body freezes up as I think of the pomegranate shampoo sitting upstairs in my shower. I can't help but run my fingers over my lips. Over my cherry vanilla chapstick. Draco goes white as a sheet, making direct eye contact with me. I can't help but smile because I've got Draco Malfoy under my finger.

"Very well," Snape comments. "Class dismissed."

"Holy shit," Blaise laughs as we leave the room together. "I have no clue who Draco's smelling, but whoever she is, I wish her luck."

"I can't even imagine," I comment cheekily. My plan is going perfectly so far.