V15 - Chapter 177 Healing Bond

"Speaker of the House Lawson Roman of Pennsylvania has brought up the President Interspecies Marriage Protection Act for debate today. The bill has been considered controversial because of what it details; the process of integrating aliens into American society.

The State Department has reported that many US soldiers, NATO personnel, and civilian contractors have been entering into romantic relationships with many Alnus natives. There are reports that some of these relationships have ended up in pregnancies, one being with a Warrior Bunny.

Three weeks ago, President Potts and General Stanford enacted a policy called Courting for its military troops(1). Because of how long the war is, many soldiers have engaged in relationships with the locals of Falmart. For the soldiers and locals' protections, a soldier requests permission from their commanding officer to enter into a romantic relationship. If the woman ends up pregnant, then under the Courting rules, the soldier is responsible for taking care of the child and woman.

Early in the war, the United States annexed Alnus Hill(2) and a ninety-mile radius around the hill, about half the distance between Alnus and Italica. Because of this annexation, US law applies to Alnus. Earlier in the year, Congress waived many regulations to Alnus because of the cultural, economic, and technology gap to allow the development of Alnus Town, but the Constitution still applies.

Under the Fourteenth Amendment, anyone born within the territory is considered a US citizen. However, the mother and/or father might not be US citizens, which creates a legal issue and loophole. The hope is for this bill to fix this loophole and prevent an immigration crisis.

This bill will lay the foundation for how the US government will deal with non-Human humanoids and protect their civil rights. A separate statement is currently being worked on in the Senate Alnus/Uros Committee.

Another loophole this bill is supposed to fix is to prevent the anchor baby issue where a family will come to Alnus to give birth to become American citizens. It continues funding and relation to the Alnus Identification program to help identify who is and is not a legal civilian in the Alnus territory. Only people with this ID will be allowed to own property, use the utilities, the Military hospital in non-emergency situations, permanent residence, and more.

As a compromise and to help lessen the incentive to have natives to come to Alnus to use the medical facilities, the State Department has approved Non-Government Organizations like Doctors Without Borders, International Medical Corps, Ceres, Partners in Health, and others to set up clinics in Italica, Valtris, Atler, Naiktai, and Kapliten. They will be increasing the medical infrastructure in these towns to help offset the load on the Alnus Army Hospital.

In one clause, the topic of international and legal statues is addressed. If a NATO and non-NATO military person engages in a relationship with a native will be granted citizenship of their respective nations. If such a country passes laws to allow marriage and children, the US will recognize it.

In a separate bill, Senator Peter Baxter of Virginia proposed a bill, granting regulation on allowing other NATO and non-NATO nations to establish diplomatic outposts at Alnus, the Elbe capital city of Ardtaim, Italica, and Valtris. The countries expected to show diplomatic outposts are the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Japan, Australia, Canada, and Brazil. Smaller nations are expected to partner up with the leading countries.

The Diplomatic Outpost will also be exemplified to allow immigration processing in the same towns, including Deabis. Any natives wishing to get immigration status or get an ID for trade can go to these towns. This is to help provide security and a stable trading network." - Lotus Eaters Podcast