Chapter 190 - Emperor of Solo Play

Start from the beginning

Hyrkan still didn’t respond.

"Let me expand on my explanation.  In the distant past, the world’s best Go players played Go against an AI.   At the time, people, who didn’t even know how to play Go, were excited over the match.  This is an analogous situation.   The AI is an unknown variable.  It is also a match between AI and humanity.  A victorious outcome would prove the worthiness of humanity.  Warlord was made using the same premise.  From one to ten, the AI would create and be in charge of everything!  This would stoke the interest of the people, who usually didn’t play games. They unhesitatingly invested money into creating this criteria, which would drive the interest of the masses.  In other words, if this criteria was lost, Warlord loses its worth.  Moreover, we aren’t at a point in our AI technology  where an AI can manage Warlord indefinitely."

At this point, Hatch no longer cared how Hyrkan reacted.

"The world made by Warlord is about to come to an end.  This is the last Main Scenario Quest.  The only thing left after killing the Barbarian King is to acquire the artifact of the War King to fight the Dragon.  After the battle with the Dragon, this game will become a normal game."

"So what?"

For the first time, Hyrkan reacted.  Hatch couldn’t help, but laugh at his reaction.

"Once Warlord becomes a normal game, you won’t be able to accrue the same amount of fame and wealth.  You won’t be able to earn several hundred thousand dollars just from posting a single hunting video.  No company in this world would pay you exorbitant amount of money to sponsor you.  Of course, you'll be able to make money.  However, it wouldn’t be at the current level.  In other words, if you monkey around with the current situation, you’ll be able to earn more fame and money over a longer period of time.  If you can play this game for one more year, you’ll even be able to own a building worth several millions of dollars.  This is why I’m going to ask you these questions.  Will you be able to kill this game knowing this?  Are you willing to give up everything in the process?"

At his words, Hyrkan thought over the words that had been spoken.

Shir spoke.

"This is my last proposal."

It was her last proposal.

"You can either finish this game with me, or you can go to war with me."

He could share the glory of ending Warlord with her or he could extend the life-cycle of Warlord by fighting against her.

He had to choose one of those options.

After she put forth her short proposal, Hatch stepped forward to block off Shir.  Shir’s proposal was abrupt, and Hatch had to interpret and explain her words.

Thanks to his efforts, Hyrkan was able to understand everything.

He now knew what was going on around him.

He now understood what was going on in this world called Warlord.

Moreover, he had an idea on what he should do from now on.

"Were you perhaps a programmer?"

At Hyrkan’s question, Hatch nodded his head.

"Yes, it was my past occupation."

"Did you participate in creating Warlord?"

"I wasn’t directly involved.  If Warlord was a person, I pretty much made the pinky toe."

"Before I give you guys an answer, I’ll say couple things."

Hatch nodded his head in agreement.