Aftermath

The group followed Yvette down several city blocks, aware that as Timothèe had predicted, more Rabids were being drawn to the noise they had made in the apartment building. Kayla held Lexi's hand with a grip that no one could tear apart, and felt she had to drag Lexi to keep up, while everyone else ran to accommodate her. Kayla didn't want to think about why Lexi was limping so bad, what the Rabid did to her in his few seconds on top of her, and what was going to happen now that they had run in to Yvette.

She knew for sure that they had to get somewhere safe, and that Yvette had saved Lexi, so in this moment she trusted her with their lives.

Finally the group stopped when the sun started to rise and all tried catching their breath.

"Lexi are you ok?" Kayla immediately dropped down to her knee to check Lexi's injury.

Yvette pushed past Kayla, Timmy, and Dante to examine Lexi's calf which was bleeding.

"Did he bite you?" Yvette asked as she carefully rolled up Lexi's pant leg.

Lexi looked like she could pass out at any minute and was leaning on Kayla's shoulder for support. Kayla couldn't tell if Lexi was white with fear, or sicknesses, but either way she knew she would never be able to forgive herself for what had happened to Lexi. She knew traveling at night was a risk, but never suspected the Rabid would be such a serious issue, she should have listened to Timothèe.

Between breaths, Lexi replied, "I... think... so. I need to sit down."

Moments later, Dante was behind her and swooped her into his arms, "We need to get out of the open, the sun may be coming up, but there's no way in hell we are having her wait around out here after that, we have to get her somewhere she feels safe."

The group agreed and entered into the nearest shop where Yvette immediately started examining her, being as comforting and helpful as possible.

Kayla's mind was spiraling and Yvette continued her examination. If Yvette hadn't showed up at the right time, she couldn't bear to think of what would have happened.

"Alright Lexi everything looks fine," Yvette said after disinfecting and dressing her wound on her calf, "I think we just need to let you rest for a little bit, you went through quite the ordeal. You'll be just fine." Yvette flashed her a comforting smile and motioned Dante over.

"Keep an eye on her for a few minutes while I go outside and talk to these two will you?" She whispered to Dante. Dante nodded immediately and sat behind Lexi, letting her head rest in his lap while Timmy and Kayla followed Yvette back onto the street.

The sun was almost all the way up now, starting to warm up the city, but Kayla still couldn't stop herself from shaking.

As soon as the door closed Yvette's comforting facade vanished, "Who's bright idea was it to take off in the middle of the night!?" She yelled causing Kayla to jump. They both went to open their mouths but Yvette wasn't done, "IF that girl ends up turning i will not hesitate to.."

Kayla's heart sunk, Yvette was just trying to keep Lexi calm when she told her everything was ok, she cut her off, "You think she'll end up turning?"

"But she didn't turn when she got the Vaccine- why would she turn now? Haven't we seen that she is resistant to the mutation?" Timothèe asked.

"Maybe." Yvette started pacing back and forth, her brain calculating, "We don't know anything for sure though, not with her. That's why it was too stupid to risk!" Yvette answered still clearly livid.

Kayla felt hope though, if she's avoid turning up until now, she can fight it off now. She looked over at Timothèe who was eyeing Yvette suspiciously.