The Rabid

The sound of four pairs of human feet hitting pavement echoed through the empty New York City streets.

"Shhhh! Run quieter!" Timothee would say every block or so, the group would slow down and lower in volume. But whenever they started to hear the sounds of humans in the surrounding buildings and streets, their pace inevitably picked up. 

After about an hour or so of running, they all stopped at an intersection, trying hard to catch their breath.

"This is crazy. This is absolutely insane and crazy." Timothee said for the 15th time.

Suddenly there was a sound of breaking glass in a building down the block behind them. This was the closest sound they had heard since they escaped. Instead of taking off running, Timothee put his finger over his lip and silently motion the group to hide between two buildings next to them.

The sound of crashing glass and human feet only increased as the group silently waited in the shadows. Timmy poked his head around the corner of the building and quickly moved it back.

"Rabids. At least 3 of them."  Timothee whispered, still trying to catch his breath.

Kayla snaked her hand through Lexi's and tried to give her a reassuring squeeze

Kayla snaked her hand through Lexi's and tried to give her a reassuring squeeze. But Lexi's usually tan skin went white with fear in the moonlight.

"Dante, as quietly as you can, try the side door to that building. We can't go back out there, we need to go into hiding until they are gone." Timmy whispered, pointing at a door a few feet away.

Dante tiptoed over broken bottles and walked as quietly as he could, and then opened the side door when it opened with a soft squeak he froze. Timmy held his hand out to tell him to freeze and then popped his head back over the side of the building. He looked back and waved everyone to enter the door Dante had opened.

Once inside the building and the door closed, Timothee spoke, still in a whisper, "The Rabid are just looking for food, they aren't evil, it's just like dealing with a hungry lion. They won't go after us if they find something else to satisfy their hunger. So if we see them pause to eat anything, that's our window of time where we can leave and run, but if they don't find anything to eat, we need to stay hidden until morning comes."

Kayla silently wondered how he knew so much about the Rabid, but was grateful he was there to help them.

"Timothee, thank you for coming with us, I," Kayla reached out to take his hand.

He jerked it away, "No. Don't talk to me right now." He walked past her and started looking for the building's staircase.

She knew he would be mad at her, she swallowed her hurt, and the group followed him deeper into the building.

Once two stories up, they found a door that was unlocked where they could hunker down for the night.

Once settled Dante spoke up, "Red and Robin have seen the map, since we stopped running and are in hiding, they could catch up to us."