Onward

Kayla felt everyone's eyes on her when she stormed back into the room full of Outsiders and Rebels, especially Beth's, her eyes seemed to burn a hole into her. She ignored all the looks though and got back into her previous spot in her sleeping bag next to Lexi.

Her and her sisters side of the room being much less cramped as the group tried to give as much distance as possible to them, making the other side of the room crowded and leaving little space for everyone else to sleep.

Only a minute or so after Kayla laid in her sleeping bag, Beth stood from her spot and went into the alley where Timothèe still was. The group tried their best to ignore the sound of the them arguing for 10 minutes. No one could hear what was being said, but it was obviously heated and loud. Kayla tried to cover her ears and ignore it as best she could. She felt a soft touch from Lexi on her shoulder.

She turned around to face her sister, who removed her mask mouthed to her silently, "Are you ok?"

Kayla removed her own mask and gave her sister a weak smile, "I'm fine. Are you ok?"

Lexi saw how red Kayla's eyes were, she had been crying. She reached out and grabbed her sisters hand, as crazy as the last couple hours had been, she actually felt safer with this group of Rebels. Dante had told her a little bit about them from what he knew of them, and she knew they were a much safer option than the Outsiders. He had wanted to join as soon as he heard about them, but never had the opportunity.

Lexi had known Timothèe was hiding something, she never would have guessed this, but now that it was out in the open, she actually trusted Timothèe more, respected him more. The fact that he was the leader of this group of Rebels that Dante spoken highly of, that he was fighting to help the Rabid and stop the Outsiders Reign, explained a lot for her. But she still hated that he had kept this from Kayla, and that it obviously hurt her. She hoped though that after the initial sting of this deception passed, that after she had a chance to talk to her sister, that she would come to understand how this is all a good thing. Maybe after Canada, Kayla and her could come back and help the Rebellion! But she would have to give Kayla time, all she could see in her sister right now was betrayal and pain.

"I'm fine, it's going to be ok." Lexi mouthed back to her sister.

A minute or so later, Timothèe and Beth walked back into the room silently. Beth found her spot with her fellow Rebels, but Timothèe hesitated at the lack of space on that side of the room.

He hesitated a moment, and then moved his sleeping bag over close to Kayla and Lexi.

"Keep your distance." Yvette said with a warning from her spot on the other side of the room, obviously not asleep yet.

Timothèe ignored her comment and put his mask back on, putting his sleeping bag a foot or so away from Kayla and then laying down.

Kayla felt his presence like a warm ember, she scooted closer to Lexi by a few inches, and finally fell asleep.
___________________

When Kayla woke up, to the sound of rustling sleeping bags, she felt the pressure of a large hand on her upper arm. She opened her eyes to see that Timmy's hand had at one point during the night reached across the space between them and landed on her shoulder. She sat up and his hand fell to the floor. She looked around and Beth was already looking at her, having seen the contact between the two.

It's not like I wanted that, Kayla thought to herself, so she shot a look back to Beth and started rolling up her sleeping bag. David, Beth, Yvette, and Dante were already up and preparing for the days journey. A few minutes later the rest of the group was woken up and preparing for the days journey.