Deals

"A sorry attempt to save your own skin boy." Mitch replied evenly, "We have the rabid under control."

"I know that you don't. I know for a fact that you are losing more and more Outsiders with each passing day. I know the only reason you guys continue to hide underground is out of fear of the rabid."

Mitch drummed his fingers along his chair with a scowl. Red, Robin, Mag and the group of outsiders who had brought them here shifted uncomfortably. Timothèe's knowledge about the outsiders struggles with the rabid must have came from overhearing their conversations.

"How would you be able to defeat the rabid?" Spoke the woman to Mitch's side, her curiosity outweighing  her respect for her leader. Mitch shot her an angry glance but looked back at Timothèe curiously.

This was it, Kayla thought, this was their one shot.

"Her sister," Timothèe nodded toward her, "she was given the vaccine, and she's still alive.... and she didn't go rabid."

Shock- was the look among the faces of the group of leaders.

"That's impossible, he's lying." The woman replied after gaining her composure back.

"He's not." Kayla finally spoke up, "she got the vaccine with the rest of her family years ago, she was the only one to survive. I didn't even know about the rabid until a couple days ago because she never turned, I had no idea it was the other side effect. She has a weak immune system, but other than that she's totally normal."

A few more moments of silence before Mitch spoke up, "Lets say on an off chance we did believe you, how do you think that information would help us defeat the rabid?"

"There's a testing facility in Canada that is actively trying to find a way to reverse the effects of those who have turned rabid. They haven't made a lot of headway but..."

The woman interrupted as the realization dawned on her, "If they were able to study a specimen who hadn't turned rabid in the first place...it could further their advancements to finding a cure."

"Yvette," Mitch turned toward the lady, "from your knowledge is there anyone who has received the vaccine and not turned?"

"No one that is still alive," she answered, "you either died from heart complications or turned months later. If they are telling the truth... if they could test this firm a find a way to reverse the gene..." there seemed to be hope shining in her eyes.

One of the other leaders spoke up from him seat, "If we could get a cure, we could have a fighting chance against them. We wouldn't have anybody fighting against our power, we'd stop losing so many of our people..."

"We did have a whole compound that turned rabid down on the lower east side because just one turned rabid and infected the others." A leader from the end of the row spoke up, "If it were to continue spreading at that rate, it's only a matter of time before..."

"Everyone shut up." Mitch commanded, he grabbed Kayla's shirt collar and pulled her down, "You will tell us where this sister of yours is so we can corroborate your story and test her ourselves."

Kayla looked over at Timothèe then square at Mitch, "No." was her simple answer.

Kayla saw Mitch's eye twitch before he slapped her across the face. Man was she getting tired of that.

Timothèe tried to struggle up from his position on his knees on the ground but was held down.

"I am prepared to die here today or live here being tortured every day until I die if it means protecting my sister from Outsiders." Kayla answered when she looked back to Mitch.