At Odds

"We have a few hours yet until we hit New York. We should really find a place to rest for the night." Cameron said to Timothèe in the front of the group, breathing heavily after the long day.

They had taken more stops than usual to allow Easton a chance to catch his breath, so they were behind what Timothèe had hoped to cover today.

"We are in the middle of nowhere, I'd feel better if we stopped and camped in a building instead of in the open like this." Timothèe answered while looking at the map and scanning the Pennsylvania countryside.

"If we do a couple fires we should be fine..." Cameron countered, taking a swig of water and looking back at his son who was talking Dante's ear off about the Rebellion. Gladly, their newest member didn't seem to mind and soaked in everything that Easton could share. And Easton, who was used to being "shhh'd" by Beth and David, gladly shared every nugget of knowledge he had to his eager listener.

"Fires will draw the attention of anyone in the area."

"But like you said, sir, we are in the middle of nowhere."

"Don't call me 'sir' Cam," Timothèe looked over at his old friend, "you never did before."

"You're right, that was before you led the Rebellion. I very well can't let you show favoritism toward me and your godson, these ex-Outsiders barely accept us as it is." Cameron was now taking a swig of water after finally catching his breath.

Timothèe had had this conversation with Cameron multiple times. He hated how there was still so much division between the Outsiders and Insiders, even when they served under the same cause of the Rebellion.

"They accept us. They just have had a harder time than us, we have to remember that. The life we've lived since forming the Rebellion isn't even close to the life's they've lived as part of the Outsiders. We have to understand one another if we want to succeed together." Timothèe repeated the rhetoric that had made him so popular with both Outsiders and Insiders alike.

Cameron rolled his eyes and then pressed, "Speaking of understanding one another, maybe you can help me understand what is going on between you and that Kayla girl."

Timothèe's eyes widened, he looked back to make sure Kayla hadn't heard that. She was far back in the group, getting examined by Yvette.

"Nothing." He said simply wanting to avoid the tender subject.

"Don't try it, I've known you far too long and seen way too much tension between you two in the one day we have been together to believe that."

"I met her the day I left for Canada," Timothèe started reluctantly, "she risked her safety to save me from a group of Outsiders. She knew who I was, as a famous anyways, and pretended she didn't so that I wouldn't be worried. I liked not being known, for either my fame or my..."

"Position of leadership?" Cameron filled in for a Timothèe when he paused.

"It was nice just to be me. When I found out about her sister I convinced her to come to Canada with me, when we thought we were about to be found out, she gave herself up to the Outsiders to save me. Well, to save her sister." He corrected, "And even though I could've gotten away, before I knew what I was doing, I was coming out and asking them take me if they would just let her go."

"What?" Cameron asked with a surprised look on his face.

"I don't know what came over me." Timothèe still didn't know what had compelled him to do that after one day of knowing her.

"But you never told her who you were, leader of the Rebels?"

"No. I, I tried, but not hard enough. And now she feels like I betrayed her."