Earthquake

Kayla and Lexi woke up to the ground shaking

Kayla and Lexi woke up to the ground shaking. An earthquake.

Earthquakes happened more regularly with every passing year as climate change and environmental issues were never dealt with until it was too late. But this one was a big one. Kayla and Lexi quickly grabbed their bags as they had been accustomed to doing when an earthquake happened. When they opened the door they saw Yvette and Timothee in the living room also grabbing their backpacks with wild and fearful looks on their faces.

Before anyone could say anything, Mag, Red, Robin, and the Outsider boy all burst through the front door.

Yvette pointed at Lexi and directed to them, "Protect her at all costs. We need to get underground. Does this apartment have a basement level?"

Moments later, the Outsiders were pushing past Kayla to create a circle around Lexi as they all made their way out of the apartment. Lexi had shot Kayla a worried look as these strangers surrounded her, but there was no time to hesitate as glasses, light fixtures, and furniture started to rumble and fall onto the floor around them.

Without even knowing how or when it happened, Timothee was holding her hand as she led the group down the stairwell. The ground seemed to crumble beneath them, and soon the sound of metal groaning and cement cracking filled the air.

The group had to jump as a large chunk of the stairwell crumble down, knocking everyone off of their feet and onto the shaking ground below. Robin and Yvette had fallen down two stories when the ground in the stairwell came apart since they were in the back of the group. The rest of the group was two stories above them.

"Kayla!" Lexi yelled out a few feet behind Kayla, "Are you OK!?" The Outsider boy was holding onto Lexi's arm to keep her from falling over, "And you, get off of me!" She shook her arm free.

"I'm fine what about you?" Kayla asked as Timothee was helping her off of the ground while the rest of the Outsiders were checking for injuries. Upon seeing Lexi's precarious position she yelled, "Don't stand on the edge like that- that ground isn't stable!"

That caught Yvette's attention, "Lexi! Back away from the edge slowly, we have to find a safe way to get you down!"

But Yvette's warning was lost over a sound of cement cracking, while the ground Lexi was standing on suddenly started to fall apart and fall down.

In a seconds notice, the Outsider boy pushed Lexi onto the more stable ground closer to Timothee and Kayla while he fell down, only catching himself with one hand. Dangling over the wreckage below him, cement and debris falling above him.

"OH my god!" Lexi yelled, fear wide in her eyes, and immediately tried to crawl forward to help him up.

Timothee wouldn't let her, he grabbed her by the arm, "Lexi, no! The ground is going to fall, you can't get hurt!"