Hiding

The next morning, they were given some food and water. Kayla had mentioned to Timmy that it was a good sign they were being fed, that he was being fed, and they wouldn't waste precious food on someone they were about to kill. Timothèe had just nodded and gave her a weak smile, she noticed the change in his attitude since last night and wondered what had caused it.

Kayla and Timothèe were brought in front of the group of leaders as they were the day before. The only difference was that this time, all the Outsiders were gathered peacefully on the lower level of the station.

They stood in expectation for an announcement from the leaders, a tense and electric feel of excitement hung in the air.

When Kayla and Timothèe were finally in front of the group of leaders, Mitch stood from his seat in the middle and directed himself in front of the hundreds of Outsiders below him. Kayla noticed that Yvette was also standing with a small backpack behind him.

"Outsiders! This is a momentous day!"

Kayla's heart skipped a beat when the crowd below them started yelling and whooping in agreement. They all silenced as soon as Mitch started again.

"As you have heard, we have acquired a famous pig."

More yelling from the crowd, Kayla stole a look at Timothèe who was stoic.

"But- we are going to hold off on his judgment for the time being."

Instead of cheers from the crowd below, there was a sound of confusion and then quickly boos and shouting in anger. Kayla felt they were seconds away from charging the second story, she looked at Mitch with panic, wondering how he would calm the crowd.

"It appears that this famous pig may have a way for us to defeat the rabid." His voice boomed with authority.

"Who cares!" Someone shouted from the crowd.
"He's lying- let's kill him!" More yelling in agreement.

"Now listen my people! How many of you have had to watch as our brothers and sisters were turned or killed by the rabid?"

The crowds silenced, and the truth in his statement rang true.

"Now we aren't all trusting and reliant on this famous pig. We are sending a group of our own people to investigate this claim, and they have orders to bring him back. If we are lucky, we will not only get to execute judgment in this pig but also have a key in defeating the Rabid!"

The crowd boomed with cheers and applause. Kayla felt the air leave her lungs- they planned on killing Timothèe either way. She looked over at him, he had no reaction, as if he already knew.

——————

Red, Mag, Robin, Yvette, and Dante were armed with guns and backpacks. Timothèe and Kayla were just prepped in the clothes they wore and the backpacks they had brought.

Kayla led the group as they backtracked through the tunnels to Kayla's apartment.

Timothèe was behind her and distracted by the warning Mitch had told him right before the group had left.

I told one of the guards accompanying you to kill Kayla on the spot if you try to not come back. You won't know which one, but know, that this person will have no qualms doing what needs to be done to get you back here. Don't try any smart stuff, and I will see you soon.

Kayla hadn't spoken to him since they were pulled from the supply closet earlier that morning, she seemed to be ignoring him. While the guards behind him were slightly distracted reading maps, Timothèe caught up with the Kayla.