Little Women

"Well, Timothèe, we should see if there are any supplies here in case we are stuck here all night."

"What was this, a bookstore?" he asked as they started to walk around the disheveled store.

"I think so. Some of them used to have cafès, there may be some good water or food we can use. Although, I highly doubt it."

After rummaging through the whole store for a few minutes they returned to the front of the store with an old gallon of water that hadn't been opened yet.

Thunder and lightning continued on while the rain became heavier by the minute. Kayla opened the gallon of water and offered it to Timothèe. After taking a sip, he handed it back to her.

"So," he said after taking a swig of water, "What were you doing outside?"

"Trying to find medicine, you?"

"Uh, yeah just food and supplies were running low." he stuttered out.

She eyed him suspiciously, she could tell he wasn't telling the whole truth, but who didn't have their own secrets in this world. Instead of prying she just rolled her eyes and took a swig of the water.

He looked at her surprised, "What's that for?"

Shit, Kayla had always been shit and hiding her facial expressions. "Look if you don't want to tell me why you're out here you don't have to."

A flash of surprise crossed his face, "What, you don't think looking for supplies is a believable reason to venture outside?" 

"It's plenty believable." 

"So why do you think I'm lying?" 

Kayla groaned internally, why did he care what she thought anyway? But she was no better than him, unable to drop it now. "I don't think I ever accused you of lying," and then mumbled to herself, "not to your face anyway."

"See! What was it- usually my acting is pretty good," that's an understatement she thought as he continued on, "I want to know what gave it away." 

"I don't know, and I don't think it matters. You don't owe me any explanation," then Kayla couldn't help the teasing smile that spread across her face for a moment, "I mean I am just the girl who saved your life is all." 

Timothee looked surprised momentarily before a smile of his own cracked, "Alright, Alright!" he then inched closer and whispered, "I'm trying to get to Canada."

Kayla was shocked. People had tried leaving the city when things were getting really bad, but once cars became undrivable leaving the city became almost impossible with the Outsiders running the streets. But even then, when people tried leaving they just wanted to go to upstate- no one was wanting to go to Canada, the place where The Vaccine originated.

"See that's why I didn't want to say- that look on your face right now," he replied to her dumbfounded look.

"I... why... but what about," Kayla didn't even know what to ask first.

"Look I know it's dangerous. But I heard that Canada is starting to get things together, their government is actually functioning and they are trying to provide aid to anyone who goes."

"Unlikely," Kayla replied with anger as she began to set up a spot for her to sleep for the night.

"Look, I know a lot of people don't trust Canada after The Vaccine, but what's the alternative?"

"Living?" Kayla replied under her breath.

"This isn't living," he replied looking out the window.

Kayla looked at him then, it sounded like it could be a line from one of his movies, she wanted to laugh at him but somehow kept her thoughts to herself.