Ch. 11 - Into the Depths of the Church

Start from the beginning

Fleur froze when she turned and saw Lesorugus' crazed eyes.

"I don't know what nonsense you're spewing, but you'll regret it if you underestimate us," Ayu said.

"Well, you see..." Lesorugus' own snorting laughs interrupted while he spoke. "Pure elven blood is most potent when in a state of despair..." He clapped and hopped in place. "Which makes you three being here just perfect!

"You bastard..." Kamiro said.

Fleur's eyes teared up. She looked at the deranged man and shook her head.

  "Ha-ha, yes, that's it. Now, just relax and enjoy... the... show." He gestured as if conducting a musical, and the clanking of metal chains rang out.

The large cell to the left of the party had been opened. Small tremors ran across the ground and tickled Kamiro's soles. A large silhouette of a creature began to emerge from deep within the dark cell. The party stood like mannequins, unable to do anything but wait in silence.

"No... No, please. No." Kamiro's voice trembled while the creature's appearance was further revealed with every step it took outside its cell. Are you kidding me?

He scrambled behind Ayu and Earla as the appearance of the creature was fully revealed. There was no other way to describe it; it was a giant spider. Come on, couldn't have been more original? And of course, it was the creepier hairy kind.

The girls gave Kamiro the same look of disappointment; even Fleur joined in from above with an icy stare of her own. Kamiro trembled behind the two girls.

"Well, at least this time, it is somewhat understandable. That monster is at least two rankings above our own," Earla said.

"Come on, deep breaths." Ayu patted Kamiro's back and gave a caring gaze.

Oh, she's actually being nice about it.

"We need that 'status up' ability of yours after all."

"How can you say that with such a caring smile?" Kamiro sniffled. Is that all I'm good for? "...Fine." He inhaled and exhaled a few times deeply and abruptly grabbed the girls. "Let's get to it then."

"H-Hey, be gentle..."

Ayu's soft, cracking voice made him want to hug her tighter. Earla shut her eyes tight with a blushed expression.

"Invocabo Liber: Status Up." I wonder what it feels like to them... They always get so fidgety once I activate the spell. And why do they make those cute moaning noises? Are they trying to kill me?

Once complete, the girls stood panting for a moment with blushed faces, while Ayu glared at Kamiro with an embarrassed look that made his heart race. But the spider had waited long enough; it shot a web attack and forced the group to dodge. It crawled toward them. The sight of its eight legs moving like fingers on a keyboard made Kamiro's skin crawl.

"Invocabo Glacies: Frozen Plane." Ayu pointed her short staff-forward, and with a quick glow, the ground underneath the creature turned to ice. It slid across and crashed against the stone wall. Ayu wasted no time; she bombarded it with her 'Ice Javelin' spell and staggered the creature.

"Great job, Ayu! Now is your chance Kamiro, go paralyze it," Earla said.

"..."

Ayu continued her icicle onslaught. "Hurry up, idiot. I can't keep this up forever."

"R-Right!" Kamiro said. But his body showed otherwise. He stood unable to move; his legs trembled like a newborn antelope.

Ayu glanced back at him. "Again?" She grunted. "Why are you useless when we need you the most!"