𝐬𝐢𝐱

Phoenix felt the familiar sensation of being poked and prodded as people around her helped her get ready for what was ahead

     Phoenix felt the familiar sensation of being poked and prodded as people around her helped her get ready for what was ahead. Phoenix could tell they were much less nervous than before. Since these were the same people who had gotten her ready for her visit with President Snow.

The people around her did their best to hide the dark circles around Phoenix's eyes, and the other marks she had accumulated during her time in the Capital. Yet it was hard for them to cover the bruises on her wrist. Especially since makeup could only do so much for the dark color that surrendered her wrist.

Wimpers left Phoenix's mouth as they tried doing their best to make her bruises look less visible. " I'm sorry love, just need to make you look perfect for the camera. " A woman explained while putting the finishing touches on Phoenix's makeup.

With all her marks being covered out as best they could be, Phoenix began putting her dress on. Aches ran through her body as she stepped into the dress. As it was zipped behind her, Phoenix noticed the mirror that had been brought into her room. Phoenix took a deep breath before looking up at her reflection,

Her breath hitched once she finally got a good look at herself. She almost didn't recognize her very own reflection in the mirror. Looking at the white dress that clung to her body. The same body that was covered in bruises. But she noticed one thing about herself, that being how frail she was beginning to look.

Phoenix had never been the strongest girl around but at this moment the person looking back at her was beginning to look different from the last time she had seen her reflection. She noticed how much weight she had lost since leaving for the games. The way her cheekbones were beginning to look more prominent than before. And now like this, she would be forced to face the entire country.

This would be the first time anyone outside the Capital would be seeing Phoenix. And this is what she would look like. Bruised and malnourished, looking so tired and pale that she might be almost unrecognizable to some of the people in Panem. The people who only knew her as the witty and vibrant victor. The victor who always had so much to offer now would be in front of them, with absolutely nothing left to give. 

A part of her knew that the people inside District 13 would be watching her interview. Making her wonder what their reactions would be when they saw her like this. What would Maeve and Canary think when they say the girl that they cared so much about being told what to say to stay alive? Would Katniss think this was all her doing the moment Phoenix pops up on their screens? But one question racked through Phoenix's mind the longer she looked at herself in the mirror.

What would Finnick have thought of her right now?

A lump began forming in Phoenix's throat as the question replayed in her mind. Yet she couldn't bring herself to answer it. She couldn't even think about the man for long without seeing flashbacks of them in the arena. The was that even today she was being shown day in and day out. The video came back to her in flashes, with her head aching as each flashed in her memory.