𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

Phoenix woke up the next morning peacefully

     Phoenix woke up the next morning peacefully. With no nightmare at all, not about Finnick, not about the Capitol, nothing at all. Did she actually believe she'd never have another nightmare again? No, she knew her road to recovery was nowhere near over, especially with a load of new trauma she would be forced to carry for the rest of her life. But as she laid inside Finnick's arms, for a moment things felt alright.

And as her eyes fluttered open, she listened to a single heartbeat. Her head moved slightly until she saw Finnick. He was too just waking up, hir eyes opening slightly to see Phoenix looking at him. Neither said anything for a moment, and Phoenix felt her hand move to Finnick's face, something she did often. As he relaxed his face in her hand, Phoenix noticed the scratches he got from the games were long gone. Leaving nothing but his unmarked face, looking back at her.

She could hear the faint beating of his heart speed up a bit the moment his hand met her face. Looking at him Phoenix never thought she would get a moment like this again. From believing she killed Finnick to thinking that their first interaction would make him never want to look at her again. Yet here they both were, lying in Phoenix's hospital bed together.

" I never stopped thinking about you. " Finnick began, finally breaking the silence that was between them. He thought about the sleepless nights he spent thinking of what could be happening inside Snow's mansion. " Every second we were apart, I only thought of you and Annie. " Phoenix moved her hand from his face to his chest. " How is she? " Phoenix asked, feeling guilty at the fact that she hadn't seen Annie.

Finnick looked down at her, rubbing some of the hair from her face. " She's doing a lot better now. " Finnick said as they began sitting up from the bed. Both had gotten used to Phoenix's schedule, Phoenix from going through it every day and Finnick by watching from afar. Having watched people go in and out of her room each day, wishing he could be one of them. And now, here he was.

Finnick swung his feet so that they were hanging off the bed. " What did, " Phoenix began, now sitting up from the bed. She didn't wanna complete her sentence. Finnick could feel her eyes staring into his back, but he knew all too well what the end of her sentence was gonna be. " Nothing, too bad, honestly. Compared to the rest of you, it was almost nothing. She was just worried about you mainly. Told me how she heard your screams. " Finnick's tone was quieter with his last sentence.

Phoenix sighed, both in relief and in guilt. Feeling relieved that what Annie went through was almost nothing compared to what happened to the rest of them. Yet feeling guilty that Annie was forced to listen to the screams of her, Peeta, and Johanna. That had to be its own personal type of torture, being forced to listen to the agony of others while feeling useless. Something Phoenix herself was all too familiar with.

" I should've made a point to see her already. " Phoenix sighed, feeling if anything, a bit selfish. Finnick turned slightly, looking at her and shaking his head. " We were both advised not to see you. Johanna too but you know her. " Finnick shrugged his shoulders, with a laugh slipping past Phoenix's lips at his words about Johanna. Even after so much, it seemed like she never lost her mannerisms. Yet once the laugh was gone, Phoenix was forced to relive what happened during her first day inside District 13.