𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

Phoenix Odair felt the sand under her feet, closing her eyes she allowed the warm sun to beat against her face

Phoenix Odair felt the sand under her feet, closing her eyes she allowed the warm sun to beat against her face. Once she opened her eyes Phoenix saw the small girl chasing her father through the sand. A part of her thought this was a dream, that she would wake up inside the cold hospital room of the Capitol. Yet no matter how many times Phoenix pinched herself, everything stayed the same, and Phoenix was grateful every time.

Birdie Odair was a spitting image of her father. The four-year-old carried almost all of her father's traits, from the green eyes to the million-dollar smile. except for the hair, that came from her mother. Birdie Odair's hair was just as dark as Phoenix's.

Looking at the two of them, Phoenix couldn't help but smile. It had been everything she and Finnick had dreamed of. Their house by the beach, with Annie coming by nearly every day to see Birdie. Yet as much as Phenix loved it all, she knew it was missing one thing.  Knowing the only thing that would've made this perfect is if Maeve and Canary were here to see it.

There wasn't a day that passed where Phoenix didn't think about her older sister and her mentor. Even Birdie's middle name was Mae, a small nod to Maeve Bellos. Phoenix wished they hadn't missed all the milestones she had always envisioned them at. Whether that be the small beachside wedding she and Finnick had or the birth of their daughter. Phoenix wished they had been there.

Finnick was the one who suggested the name Birdie for their daughter. With it not only mirroring one of the nicknames he had called Phoenix throughout the time they had known each other. But also going with the bird-themed names her mother had once picked for herself and Canary. The name allowed Birdie Odair to be her own person, and still reminded Phoenix of her late sister.

Although Canary Flack had been long gone by the time her niece was born, Phoenix could sometimes see bits of Canary in Birdie. Phoenix's daughter was a shy girl, often seen peaking her head from behind Finnick or Phoenix's leg whenever she met new people. This wasn't a characteristic Phoenix or Finnick had, yet it reminded Phoenix of the naturally shy nature Canary had while they were growing up. Something her older sister only grew out of after she had met Maeve. 

And as time passed and domestic life began replacing Phoenix and Finnick's old one of violence, things slowly got easier. It started with Phoenix telling Finnick stories from her childhood, things he had never heard. Stories about Phoenix's parents to stories about Phoenix, Canary, and Maeve from after Phoenix's initial Hunger Games.

Finnick would tell her stories too, ones from his childhood. Growing up in District 4 was completely different compared to growing up in District 5. And Phoenix noticed that not only with the stories Finnick told her, but raising her daughter also showed her that. Growing up by the sea meant Birdie knew how to swim early in her life, and it quickly became her favorite thing.

The sound of laughter coming from the little girl is what drew Phoenix from her thoughts. Looking up to see the dark-haired girl running towards her with her arms open wide. " Birdie, " Phoenix laughed as the girl's tiny arms attempted to wrap around her mother. The girl settled into Phoenix's arms, still slightly wet from the time spent in the water.

Phoenix held her in her arms, moving some of the wet hair from her face. " You tired? " She questions after watching the girl yawn. Rubbing her eyes, Birdie nodded her head, already fighting off her sleep and failing. " After all that swimming she should be. " A voice from next to her said. Phoenix turned to look at Finnick who was now sitting next to them, wrapping an arm around Phoenix.

Relaxing into Finnick's touch, Pheonix looked down to see Birdie beginning to close her eyes inside Phoenix's arms. " That was quick. " Phoenix chuckled, grabbing the towel from next to her and covering her daughter in it. " She'll probably be asleep by the time Johanna arrives later tonight. " Finnick looks from his daughter to the sun that was beginning to set on the sea. " She'll be here for a few days so it'll be okay. " Phoenix reminds, feeling a rush of excitement at the thought of seeing Johanna Mason.

A comfortable silence between the family settled as Phoenix and Finnick watched the sunset. " This is all I ever wanted for us. " Finnick mutters, holding Phoenix just a little closer. She looks at him, his face looking like that of pure love. The same face he had when they had first met all those years ago. Phoenix plants a kiss onto his lips, tasting a bit like the saltwater he had been in all day.

" I love you. " She reminds pupils blown as she looks at Finnick Odair. The same boy she had fallen in love with all those years ago. Now in front of her not only as a man but as her husband. " I love you too Nixie. " Finnick said as Phoenix moved to rest her head on his chest. And as Finnick and Phoenix Odair watched the sunset with their daughter they realized they finally were able to live the life they were promised so long ago.

The life of victors.

A/N: Thank you, everyone, for the endless love and support I've gotten while writing these books, it honestly means the world to me. I've spent the last fourteen months writing about Phoenix and Finnick and now I finally have to say goodbye. Although it feels odd to know I'm done, I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. Thank you all so much again, and know that Phoenix and Finnick will always be here, ready for you to reread!

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐀 𝐏𝐇𝐎𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐗 𝐅𝐋𝐈𝐄𝐒 - Finnick Odair 🎉