𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

The room was sleek and in character with that of the Capitol's overall aesthetic

     The room was sleek and in character with that of the Capitol's overall aesthetic. It reminded Phoenix of the kind of rooms she was forced to spend different nights in. And as the memories from what now feels like a lifetime ago flashed in her mind the sicker she felt. Phoenix shook the foul memories from her head, knowing that the more she thought about them the more distracted she would get. And she had no room for any distractions.

Now looking around Phoenix noticed the silence that overtook the room. The only slight noise being heavy breathing from people desperately trying to catch their breath. However, it was the sudden sound of cars nearing their hideout that broke the silence. This caused everyone to momentarily stop in their tracks, some even holding their breath a moment.

Phoenix's breath hitched, believing as though the slightest sound would give away their position. She and Finnick then made eye contact, with Finnick moving his hand a bit, insinuating for her to come by him. Phoenix walked on the tips of her feet towards Finnick, who was by the window. The lovers looked out of the window, needing to know what was happening just outside. Phoenix saw the trucks, each carrying hoards of PeaceKeepers, all heading towards the building they had just abandoned.

Her face scrunched in confusion at the gunfire coming from the building until she remembered who was inside. " It's the Leegs. " Finnick confirmed, watching the gunfire break out from both sides. It wasn't until the gunfire ended abruptly, with the building collapsing to the ground the moment it was hit with a bomb. Phoenix and Finnick both crouched to the floor, Finnick's instincts causing an arm to wrap around Phoenix.

The unit stayed like that for a moment, with Phoenix at this point just hoping for silence. Her head began to get noisy as she felt herself becoming more and more anxious. And just as Phoenix thought this couldn't get any worse, the sound of the Panem anthem began playing from inside the room.

Looking past Finnick's arm, Phoenix saw the broadcast straight from the Capitol beginning. Finnick felt Phoenix tense up the moment Caesar Flickerman appeared in front of them. Rubbing circles over her shoulder, Finnick wanted nothing more than to calm her down. He continued with this even after Phoenix had begun easing into his touch.

The man introduces himself, his somber tone completely contracting his colorful hair and matching outfit. Phoenix wondered how even in a time like this they still dressed and acted as though everything was normal. Caesar's demeanor now mirrored his interviews with Peeta and Phoenix and not his interviews for the yearly tributes. Although he looked the same, he couldn't have acted more differently.

His face was blank as he prepared to break the false news to the people of Panem. " Today as our Peacekeepers valiantly hold off the rebels, our story takes a surprising twist. " Phoenix's eyes widen at his words, with everything beginning to click. The only footage they had was the unit running into the building before it collapsed. They had no idea a majority of them had escaped. " They think we're dead. " She whispered to Finnick, whose eyes were glued to the broadcast. " Idiots. " He muttered back.