twenty-two

⌜ chapter twenty-two ⌟

Letty's laying in her bed with a book when the window suddenly opens and Eric climbs into her bedroom. The brunette ignores him as he shuts the window, then walks over to lock her door before crawling onto the bed with her. He lays down, and she moves her arm so that he can scoot closer to her until his head's resting on her chest. She then moves the book forward as he slings his arm across her torso, and he looks up at her book.

"Whatcha doin'?" He asks.

"Bowling."

"You're not gonna question anything that just happened?"

"You're afraid of my brother and his friends." She says, and he takes a deep breath as he closes his eyes. She then shuts the book, knowing what chapter she's on, and wraps one of her arms around him while her other hand rests on his bicep over her stomach. "What happened with the bear at the store?" She asks, knowing that that has to be what's got him so down.

"Bad bear." He mutters. "I got fired." He tells her, and she sighs.

"That bad, huh?"

"What am I gonna do?"

"Take the S.A.T.s. Improve your scores. Go to college."

"Can't." He says, and she suddenly forces him onto his back before straddling him. "Well, I like where this is going."

"Shut up, I'm not kissing you." She puts her hand over his mouth, and he tries to pout. She then moves her hair so it's not hanging in her face as she leans over him; her palms settle on the mattress on either side of his head to support herself as she looks into his eyes. "You are not stupid, Eric, so quit pretending that you can't do this. You practically passed high school in your sleep, and you could've gotten better grades if you'd just applied yourself and tried a little harder. You are smart, and witty, and a lot better than you give yourself credit for. So, stop being lazy and do better. It doesn't have to be a four year college. Find something that you wanna do, and go to a trade school, but stop taking the easy way out." She gets off of the bed, and he sits up.

"I came here so that you'd make me feel better, not kick me while I'm down."

"No, you came so that I'd tell you that you're right and your dad shouldn't have fired you." She argues. "But I'm done watching you throw your life away."

"So, that's what you think I'm doing? Taking the easy way out?" He questions.

"Eric, you just climbed in through my window because it was easier than walking past Alec, and he isn't even here, by the way." She shakes her head. "Sometimes what you need to hear isn't what you want to hear, and I'm not gonna lie to you. You're refusing to take the S.A.T.s again because you're afraid that you'll be rejected by college again, and getting jobs that you barely like and go nowhere is easier than getting your hopes up."