sixteen

⌜ chapter sixteen ⌟

"Forty-five— Dad, that's barely even worth it!" Cory's yelling when Eric and Letty walk into the house through the backdoor.

"Fine. Give me the keys." Mr. Matthews holds his hand out toward his younger son.

"Fine, take 'em." He drops the keys into his palm, and Letty leans against the counter by the sink as Eric walks past her.

"Aw, what's the matter, birthday brother?" The older boy asks tauntingly after taking a toothpick out of his mouth. "Something got you terribly, terribly sad?" He leans down to look at Cory, who sat at the table after taking off his jacket.

"Eric, when you were sixteen—"

"Yeah, I still had the same great hair." He stands up straight and walks over to the fridge, still fidgeting with the toothpick he places back between his teeth.

"Listen, did Dad still treat you like you were six?" Cory asks as he follows him, and Letty walks over to stand by the table.

"No." The older boy closes the door and turns to face him. "I mean, he weirded out a little bit on me because, you know, I got my license and made him feel old, and he went out and bought a cemetery plot and everything, but I bet you it's not nearly as bad as he's treating you."

"'Cause he likes you better."

"Yup, he does, he does." He walks over to Letty, setting the soda he got on the counter, and she takes the toothpick that he keeps putting in his mouth and taking back out as he talks. "Hey." He pouts.

"It's annoying, and gross." She says as she throws it in the trash can. "Now, stop being an ass to your brother."

Eric sighs as he looks back at Cory. "He still had you around when I got my license." He tells him, meaning that that's why their dad wasn't as hard on Eric as he's being on Cory.

"Well, he's got Morgan." The younger boy argues.

"Girl."

"What?"

"You're his last son, son." Eric rests his hand on Cory's shoulder. "Now you're old enough to drive away and leave him alone with Morgan, who goes to..."

"Art class." He says, and then Letty points to the little blonde who just walked into the kitchen wearing a pink leotard and tutu.

"And..." The older boy turns to Letty and smiles as he places his hands on her hips and makes her walk backward toward the island counter with him.