nineteen

⌜ chapter nineteen ⌟

"Come on." Eric opens the backdoor as he leads his younger brother back into the house. "Good boy. Good boy. Get you out of the rain."

"Is it raining?" Cory asks as thunder claps outside and there's a flash of lightning.

"Hey, Mommy, Daddy, I found this wounded puppy outside. Can we keep him? Can we?" He asks as Letty walks over to the two boys with towels.

"How'd you get him out of her room like this?" She asks as she takes in the distant look in the younger boy's eyes.

"Well, I fell out of the tree." Eric tells her as Mr. Matthews takes one of the towels to dry his younger son off a bit.

"Cory, I know this is tough on you, son, but you can't go on avoiding life." His dad says as he helps him out of his leather jacket.

Letty's hanging up Eric's jacket as he uses the towel to soak up some of the water from his dripping hair. "You know something, Cor. He's absolutely right." Eric tells him. "I had the same problem when I broke up with Letty. There was a lot of pain, there was a lot of heartache—"

"And then you moped around the house until she showed up, and you found out that she doesn't not love you. She just needed time, which you two don't take, 'cause you never stop acting like a couple." Cory says, and he nods.

"Yeah, I got nothin'." He then walks over to the brunette. "Hold me, I'm cold."

Mr. Matthews shakes his head at him as he then sits down next to his younger son at the dining table. "Listen, Cor, I was thinking. Why don't we just drive down to Pittsburgh this weekend, huh?" He suggests, and Cory starts to perk up. "I need to see some suppliers, and you can spend some time with Topanga."

"I don't think that's the best idea, Alan." Mrs. Matthews says.

"Mom, you know what? I know how you feel, okay." Cory turns in his chair so that he can look at her. "I— You've made it real clear how you feel." He says, and she scoffs.

"My feelings are for you." She says as she sits down on his other side. "I don't want you to be in pain."

"No, you just don't want me and Topanga to be together."

"I don't want you to be sick over Topanga." She tells him. "Cor, she isn't here anymore. To tell you the truth, I think this presents you with a good opportunity to get to know other girls."

"Mom, I don't want to know other girls, okay?" He says as he stands up.

"I don't think that's healthy."