five

⌜ chapter five ⌟

"Scarlett! Scarlett!" Shawn quickly runs over to where the teenage girl's sitting on the bench in the hallway drawing in her notebook, and she looks up at him.

"Are you speaking to me again?" The brunette asks with a furrowed brow, surprised that he's even standing in front of her right now.

"My mom's back." He tells her, and her dark eyes widen. It's unspoken between the two of them that any fight they were in is now completely forgotten.

"What?"

"I just saw her in the Trailer View Motel looking through her window at our trailer."

"And you're sure that it was her?" She asks, and he gives her a deflated look.

"Yes, Scarlett, I think I know what my mom looks like."

"You know that's not what I meant, smartass." The older girl says, and he sighs.

"I'm sure." He tells her, and she nods.

"Well, have you told your dad about this?" She asks, and he shakes her head. "Alright, uh, come on. Let's go tell him."

"You wanna ditch school? You're letting me ditch school?"

"Some things are more important. At least, for a day." She says as she stands up, and he nods.

The two of them then head down to the trailer park, and Shawn quickly fills his dad in on what he saw, which obviously takes him by surprise. "You're telling me for the last year I've traipsed across these United States searching for my long lost Virna, and you find her right across the highway?" Chet questions as he glances between the two teenagers.

"It's her, Dad. She's been watching us." Shawn tells him.

"Well, how long's she been there? How's she look? When's she comin' home?"

"I-I don't know. We haven't gone over there yet." He says as he glances back at Letty.

"Why not?"

"I'm afraid I'm gonna chase her away again." He tells him, and Letty reaches forward to rest her hand on his shoulder.

Chet shakes his head as he then stands up from his chair. "You didn't chase her away. You kids are the only reason she stayed here as long as she did." He tells them as Shawn reaches up and grabs his sister's hand.

"Thanks, Dad." The younger boy says, and he nods.

"Why's she over there spyin' on us?" He asks, and then starts walking away from them. "Hey, she's probably after my secret plans."