four

⌜ chapter four ⌟

Letty's doing her homework on the bench in the school hallway, and she hears Shawn walk past with his best friend, but she's too distracted by her own thoughts to look up at anyone around her. That is, until she hears a familiar voice that shouldn't be at the school at all.

"Hey, Mr. Feeny. How's it going by and by?" Eric asks, gaining both his old teacher and his ex-girlfriend's attention.

"Fine, by and by." Feeny says as Eric looks around the hallway. "So, Mr. Matthews, how does it feel to be back in the old school hall?"

"They miss me, don't they?" He asks, and Feeny nods as he takes a few steps toward him.

"Oh, yes. We've brought in a crisis counselor to help the students deal with their loss."

"Well, I think that's a great way to begin the healing process." He turns as Mr. Feeny walks past him, moving toward where Letty's sitting.

"I take it you're here to set up a tutoring schedule." He says as he looks at him. "Or are you here to try and talk to Miss Black?"

Eric pauses a moment. "Why would I be here for that?"

"Your window was open last night, I heard what happened." He tells him, and Letty looks down, too embarrassed to risk making eye contact with their teacher.

The teenage boy clears his throat and opts to change the subject rather than answering the question. "You know, I actually was here to set up a tutoring schedule, but now, Mr. Feeny, I really don't think tutoring's going to be necessary for me." He says.

"Now, Eric." Feeny grabs his arm and starts pulling him toward his office, which is right next to where Letty's sitting. "I thought we agreed that colleges look favorably on students who acknowledge their scholastic shortcomings and try to rectify them."

"Whatever." Eric says, trying not to look at the brunette that they stopped right in front of; he can see her drawing in her notebook out of the corner of his eye. "But, you know, my dad has actually decided to start a family business and has generously offered me a position within the firm, so, as you can see, my future's assured."

"What kind of business is it?" He asks, and Eric shrugs as he incoherently mumbles an I don't know.

"But, you know, it doesn't really matter because this weekend the Matthews men are attending the Be Your Own Boss franchise exposition opportunity extravaganza at the airport comfort inn."