Chapter Thirteen

The way I spend the next two months would make any lover of the outdoors want to weep and then throw me into a recycling bin. I basically spend all my time in a secluded area, my eyes glued to a screen of some sort. Any time that’s not spent in school or doing homework or completing eating/poopoo time is spent on my laptop.

I don’t know why eating and poopoo time are together but the world isn’t perfect, okay?

I’m not entirely sure if all this fangirling does anything to how I feel about Niall but I roll with it anyway. I missed all the drama and squealing and fantastic virtual catfights this fandom so gratefully offers. I don’t know what I was doing without it.

Niall and I settle back into our old routine of calling and texting and Skyping with each other for ungodly amounts of time. By mutual agreement we avoid discussing mushy topics and focus more on each other’s lives.

I also never mention Harry’s secret. After I told Harry that Niall wasn’t interested (but not the reason why), I felt a bit awkward talking to Harry. We chatted for about a week before I decided I was way too uncomfortable with the whole situation and I slowly cut it off.

At the beginning of February Niall starts to plan his trip to America. He wants to spend the weekdays of his break at my family’s apartment and then go to New York City for the weekend. Then immediately after the week ends he has to go to England so they can all begin their world tour.

When I ask my mom if Niall staying over is okay at dinnertime, Katie spits all of her rice onto the table in shock.

“NNNiall is going to sleep hhere?” she asks, having the appearance of someone who just won the lottery.

“If mummy dearest says he can,” I pout, flashing doe eyes to my mother. She smiles.

“Let me talk to him first and then maybe I’ll allow it.”

I finish dinner in a rush to make sure I can catch Niall before he goes to bed. Immediately after my meal I run to my room and grab my cell phone, dialing his number as I sprint back to the kitchen.

“Yeah?” he says once he’s picked up.

“My mom wants to talk to you,” I tell him. “I just asked her if you could stay over.”

“Okay,” he says, clearing his throat. “I’m good.”

I hand the phone to my mother and she puts it to her ear.

“Hello?” she asks. “Is this the famous boy I’ve heard so much about?”

I only get one side of the conversation since I can’t hear Niall’s response but it must be good because my mom chuckles.

“Alright, Mr. Horan,” she says, still laughing. “Just making sure that you’re real and not some figment of Erin’s imagination. I remember when she was just four years old and she made up some character”

“Ahem!” I grunt, trying to get her to shut up and get to the point.

“Sorry sweetie,” she says into the phone. “Erin’s being a bit hormonal today.”

I smack myself in the forehead. I should’ve known. Now that Dad isn’t here to make fun of me when I’m around boys, Mom has to take that job.

Just fantastic.

After a few minutes of embarrassing quips from my mom to Niall, she hands me the phone telling me that he is allowed to stay over. He’s going to show up on Monday about a week from now and sleep on the sofa in the living room until Friday.

I tell myself that I will clean up this apartment by the time he arrives. I can’t have him entering the home of slobs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~